I have a problem and need your advice. Last year I fought very hard for - and got -
my library aide. However, she was not the one I would have hired. My principal (who
is retiring at the end of this year) pushed this woman on me, probably because she
has connections in this small community.

The problem is that she has been a nightmare to deal with - she does her job, but
she was rude and obnoxious to just about everyone, including me. I had a meeting
with her, documented it as my AP (who will be principal next year) suggested. Since
then, she has become sickeningly sweet to everyone, but even so she continually
alienates everyone and seems to have undone in 2 months, what I have built up in 2
years. Also, there is a definite power struggle between us - she continually
oversteps her bounds and she tries to project the image to everyone that she is the
librarian and this is her library; instead of being an assistant to me, she tries
to dominate and take over everything. I'm not imagining this - everyone tells me
they notice this.

All I want to do is turn this library into a welcoming place where students and
faculty can come and have their research needs met. I do not want to engage in a
power struggle with someone who is supposed to help me. My question is, how would
you handle this? My goal is to somehow prevent her from having her contract renewed
at the end of the year - I'd rather eliminate the position, than deal with this.

Any advice you can give me, would be most appreciated. For privacy's sake, I will
include only my first name and my email address on this one.

Susan
Castleriggpekes@adelphia.net