Since the banning of OLIVE'S OCEAN from the intermediate library, I have
been trying to figure out what is so profane in that book.  There is a
brief discussion of "parental" sex, but it certainly is not detailed nor
inappropriate; there are a couple of instances of profanity, but they
aren't in there for the sake of selling the book.  The intermediate
librarian is really in mourning over this situation, so I would
appreciate it if you would answer a couple of questions for us.Thanks so
much.

1.Is OLIVE'S OCEAN in your intermediate (3-5) library?

2.Would  you expect it to be challenged?  If so, why?

3. As a librarian, what do you think you would do if the book had been
challenged and gone through the evaluation committee (5 people), and
then banned for all children from your library? (The principal of the
school was on the committee and had a vote; the vote was not unanimous,
but HE probably wasn't one of those who voted to keep it on the shelf).

Thanks for any comments or light you can shed on this.
George Anne Draper, libarian
Wynne High School, Wynne, AR
gdraper@wynne.k12.ar.us