Exactly, Karen!
However, in the real world, the students will be faced with late
charges for things they are late with - bill payments, rental videos,
etc... Our district begins with fines in the MS, figuring at that age,
the kids are the ones controlling the items they borrow... as opposed
to the Elem School, when mom reads the book and puts it in the backpack
to be returned. (or the books are due on  the kids' fixed library day).

On Nov 5, 2004, at 10:03 AM, The DeFranks wrote:

> I'm replying to the whole list because I think this is a good topic for
> discussion.
>
> I am against fines for late books. Here's a list of reasons:
> 1. not important - I want the book back, not the money.
> 2. too busy - I teach 500 kids a week. When I'm not teaching I'm
> getting
> ready to teach, writing overdue reminders, etc. I don't have time to
> track
> down kids for library fines.
> 3. public relations - If you want people to use your library you have
> to be
> a friendly place. No one wants to cough up a few cents for a late book.
> 4. budget concerns - I have a decent budget and run two profitable book
> fairs. I don't need the money.
>
> Karen DeFrank, LMS
> Bullock School
> Glassboro NJ