Johanna,
Wow! No wonder you are ready to tear your hair out!
I too have 700+ kids, am the planning period for teachers and get no
time at the beginning to set up. In fact my principal wants books out
the first day. So I don't even bother with the kid barcodes, just type
the names in when checking out and go from there. For the longest time I
had the kids shelve their own books  - what a disaster!

Since your principal  stated that both she and the AP are available for
support ask her or him to plan a lesson for this class, execute it while
you observe the "technique" used in book exchange. I have the sneaking
feeling that either 1) she refuses or 2) will hopefully see the
impossibility of her request and possibly get you some help.

Do you belong to the teacher's union? Don't hesitate to call on them if
needed. That's why you pay dues.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Kathie Epler
Librarian
Amanda E. Stout Elem.
Reading, PA
skoob@epix.net

Ride the Reading ("redding") Railroad when you play Monopoly!