The 2nd title about a migrant boy finding a home with Boss, a lady who herds sheep
in Montana, is The Lone by Esther Wier published in 1963.  Thanks to all who
replied.  You are wonderful.  It is SO fun to amaze others by the secret weapon
that is LM_NET!

Title #1 about the Askeladden story is not pinned down yet, but I've been given
interesting leads I'm chasing.

Vee Wissler
Librarian, Our Mother of Perpetual Help School
Ephrata PA
wisslers3@dejazzd.com

"It is a good rule, after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new
one till you have read an old one in between.  ... Every age has its own outlook.
It is specially good at seeing certain truths and specially liable to make certain
mistakes.  We all, therefore, need the books that will correct the characteristic
mistakes of our own period."   CS LEWIS