From: Barbara Braxton <barbara@AUSTARMETRO.COM.AU>
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] GEN : noticing a change in the subject line of LM_NET
emails
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:46:53 +1100

I think I might be the guilty party because I wrote to Peter asking him how
to turn ON this facility for MY email because I belong to a number of lists
around the world and it is important for me to distinguish at a glance where
messages come from.  I was also reluctant to open some messages because the
subject lines seemed strange such as "Don't Kill the Freshmen", and given
some of the subject lines that I get from spammers I could not pick which
were legit from LM_NET and which were not. Unfortunately some people still
don't use the prefixes and some still don't add appropriate subject lines.

Because I can get up to 300 emails a day (without counting Spam) I want to
be able to skim read them, not opening folders for this list or that, or
having separate email accounts for each one.

Having list identification like this is part of the accepted netiquette of
lists around the world. Every other list that I belong to has it as a given
feature. Now I don't think one person should inconvenience 17 000 but I
really think that there are many others like me who do belong to multiple
lists
who appreciate Peter's adding this feature and for the split second of extra
reading, that we can all learn to live with it, particularly if it is an
everyone or no one feature.
Barbara

Barbara  Braxton
Teacher Librarian