Dear LM_Netters
My posting is two-fold.  Firstly, our server blocked the LM_NET site due to large
amounts of spam so I have to send this to unblock it!

Secondly, I am long overdue in posting a hit list for those of you who responded
with ideas for a memorial to a deceased librarian.  Thank you all for your
wonderful ideas.  We decided on a "story corner" with a fireplace mural (or
possibly a faux fireplace, because she loved fireplaces) and cozy rug for primary
readers to enjoy.  Your excellent ideas follow:

In my former library, Pre-K-5, there was a partition built behind the story time
area. I don't know if that could happen, but this is what we did. We had a painter
come paint a generic story time type scene....little house in the woods, lots of
greenery and flower...painted. Is this a possibility? Or if not, perhaps the
concept can grow into something that works for you!
Regards,
Connie

Why don't you acquire some good storytelling resources, i.e. books, videos, etc.?
Carol

Why not add a plaque and use the remaining money to
provide new books? Or to hire a storyteller for a day
to come in and do a program for the kids and teachers?
Cindy

Just thinking -- Did she have favorite books that she liked to share with children?
 You could purchase some of those and put a memorial form to her in them.  Perhaps
some of those great characters -- stuffed etc. Hope you have lots of ideas.  Barb

Buy books!!  398.2's - and lots of them.  Add a nice bookplate (mine was designed
by my art teacher) stating that they book was given in memory of...). Joan

How about creating a castle like atmosphere using bookshelves.  Here in Canada
there are library furniture distributors that have these components. Donna
I recently had a gift given in the amount of $500 for the same thing.   The donor
did ask us to purchase a rocking chair, so we will do that and put a nameplate on
it for the memorial.  The rest of the money is going toward a mulit-cultural
storytelling book collection (I'll probably add some tapes as well).

Another thing I thought about was a mobile puppet theater.  They run about $175.
Maybe some big books as well that the kids could read together, or professional
books on storytelling for children.  I'd love to see the responses you receive,
either in a hit or an email.  Thanks so much!
Carrie

Hi,
My storytime area has a great dragon rug to keep the kids contained.  In your case,
with the kids sitting on risers, perhaps a rug for under the reader's chair.  The
kids (and parents at open house) absolutely love it!! Cost is around $400.
Barb

puppets and theater?
Betty

how about a stained glass panel with her favorite habitat   and then a
low bookcase next to the chair with more great read out-louds or
storyteller props!  good luck
Solheim

You say she was a "storyteller," but was she really a "story reader?"  As a
storyteller, I would use the money to buy some audio CD's from August House or some
hardcover books created by storytellers such as Joe Bruchac, Donald Davis or Bill
Harley.  Also, some collections of tellable stories for adults and children.  I use
these kinds of materials often with our Storytelling Club.

If you were looking for something more 'dressy,' maybe you could find an art piece
of a storyteller.  Several years ago, the National Storytelling Association had
this great black and white print of a storyteller with children gathered around
his/her? knee.  A sculpture would also be great.  It may take some searching though.
Carol

What about puppets that you put on some of the bookshelves. Puppets are great
enhancement to storytelling - and the good ones, by Folkmainis don't come cheap.
Thanks So Much!
Guusje

Hi Aileen,

A couple of ideas come to mind(that I have done for a memorial)....use a portion to
get books. Put nameplates in them saying "donated in memory of.."  Have a shelf
built with a special nameplate that says "The insert name here Memorial shelf"....
Maybe start a fund that brings in storytellers each year for a special Memorial
Storytelling Day....in honor of the library founder....
Good luck!
Kelly

Dear Aileen
Have no idea of prices but perhaps an artist could paint a story-based mural on the
glass windows using the special paints that still let the light through.  From the
way you have described your corner it sounds like your audience is facing the
windows and that must be very glary for them so the mural would soften that and the
light through the colours would cast a special glow.

If the money doesn't stretch to an artist perhaps the children could measure and
map the windows with a design and paint it themselves with paint bought from the
money.

Barbara

Dear Aileen,
     How about a puppet theater with puppets or a flannel board? They might be nice
additions that don't necessarily need to be in the area all the time.
                                                                             Kateri

Puppets, hats and other simple costumes for the storyteller (ie, the cat in the
hat) large board books, felt boards and characters, videos of famous storytellers,
an endowment to bring a storyteller in.  This is off the top of my head.  Hope it's
not too incoherent.  Linda

Some of our schools have stain glass panels hung either instead off the window or
over the top of the window. The panels that depict different characters are
awesome.
Faye

How much wall space do you have?? If you could find a local painter to paint a
mural of stories that she loved to tell. I have murals in my library of the 3
little pigs plus animals and plants that are native to Texas. They add such a
special touch to the library. The kids just love the paintings. Just my idea!
Good-luck and let us know what you decide.
Cheryl

How about a stained glass picture.  I have seen things that have gorgeous painted
class that hangs like pictures.  Just a thought.  Or maybe new curtains??  Hope
this helps.  Emily

How about a nice stained-glass with a story-telling theme ?
Robin

 I don't know if this is feasible at all, but it is a consideration.
When I arrived in our library, someone had given us money for this same purpose.
What the librarian before me did was invest in some "remote" headphones that are
wireless...We can then put a CD into a player that is behind the librarians desk,
hand out some headphones to the kids and they can wander around (to within about 30
feet or so) from the player and listen to a story while either sitting quietly on
the cushions or looking for other books.

I have no idea on the cost or anything of this--like I said it was done before I
came but it is quite popular around here.
Good Luck!
Carol

Dear Aileen - How about buying some things to enhance story hour / story telling
... like some wonderful puppets and stuffed animals - You can actually get a wooden
stand to hang them from ... or some great stories on tape - and have a separate
little stand for those to be checked out - or how about a wonderful chair for the
story teller - or a beautiful rug - a special oversize cushion for a student to sit
on - or how about strting a fund for visiting story-tellers to do programs at the
library? Cheers - Ingrid

Could you use it for videos about storytelling or collections of multicultural
stories to tell?
 Gail

When one of our principals died, he family made a memorial to the school library.
We chose a statue of a child reading and had a brass bookmark made with the
principal's name and favorite quote on it. The man who did the bookmark made it so
it looked like was hanging from the book. It was a nice addition to the media
center.  --
Pam

How about buying some statuary for the area, perhaps a few examples of Native
American storyteller figurines? Nice touch of diversity, fun to look at, and
emphasizes what that area is meant for.
Betty

Perhaps the money could be used for posters of illustrations of children's books
(see Books of Wonder, New York City).  Or perhaps you can use this many to purchase
story characters that the children could 'read' with .
Marilyn

Thank you so much!
Aileen

Aileen Kay, Library Director
aileen.kay@smaa.org
St. Mary and All Angels School
7 Pursuit, Aliso Viejo, Ca 92656
(949)448-9027, x230

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. This
communication may contain material protected by the attorney-client privilege. If
you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering this
email to the intended recipient be advised that you have received this email in
error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please
notify the original sender immediately by telephone or by return email and delete
this message, along with any attachments, from your computer.