Date:    Tue, 9 Nov 2004 19:43:35 -0600
From:    Nancy Dickinson <dickinsonn@K12COFFEE.NET>
Subject: Re: Info about ALA Midwinter meeting

I found Lisa's email about Midwinter very interesting, especially the part about
going to sessions of the notable book discussions. It cleared up something for me
that I have to share with you....

The first time I went to Midwinter, the lady I went with and I were sitting in our
hotel room and had the TV on the channel where it lists the sessions going on in
the hotel. The Newbery and Caldecott meetings were listed, and my friend said she
thought one could sit in on the discussions. The room numbers were listed so I
thought I'd just go on over and listen a while. (Are you saying, "Uh-oh??")

I bopped on down there and the door to the room for the Caldecott meeting was
closed, but people were going in and out of the Newbery  room and I could hear
laughter and talking so I just went on in the door. Well, let me tell you, a hush
fell over the room and all eyes were on me. One of the ladies jumped up, grabbed me
by the elbow, said "Can I help you?" and
started ushering me out the door. I told her what my friend had said about
listening to the discussion about the time she got me out in the hallway. She
turned on her heel, flipped her head, said, "Nothing could be further from the
truth!" and left me standing there in the hallway!

When I got back to my room, I asked my friend if I had just been through some kind
of initiation ritual! Now, thanks to Lisa, I finally understand that I should have
found the Notable Books sessions instead!

Nancy Dickinson, Librarian
Hillsboro Elem. School
Hillsboro, TN 37342
dickinsonn@k12coffee.net