>Yesterday, my principal called me in her office and asked me to remove one
>of the
>books titled "Terrorism" (Interest Level 5-8) from the collection and give it
>to a middle school, and even at that, she said "it is questionable." She said
>that it talks about abortion.
>[snip]
>because one or a few object without a trial? Shouldn't we be following
>District policy for book removal, even though it never made it to the
>stacks? What
>is your professional opinion on this?

Phyllis,
You've answered your own question. Plus - if there is an existing district
policy on handling such complaints then your principal violated that policy
and required you to do so as well. I don't know about California, but in
Texas violating District Policy is one very quick way to be non-renewed.

So  ... I would ever so sweetly say to your principal "You know, telling me
to remove that book was a violation of District Policy ### (cite the exact
policy number). I am very uncomfortable about that. Would you please put
your instructions in writing in case anyone from higher administration
should ever question this action?"  Actually you'd better put your request
in writing as well.

You aren't threatening anything - you are trying to protect yourself from
future harm arising from this incident. And it is quite possible,
especially if this is a relatively new principal, that she is unaware of
the policy's existence. So you've educated her as well.

Melissa Davis, Librarian                281.689.2853 phone
Splendora Junior High                   281.689.8445 fax
23411 FM 2090                   mbdavis@splendora.k12.tx.us
Splendora, Tx 77372                     mbdavis@cox-internet.com