My original post:  Oh wise and experienced LMS,  this is my first  year in a
HS as a  LMS.
I need some great ideas for a season book  display.  September,  we
highlighted our new books, October were  bewitching tales, November has
me  stumped.  Any great  suggestions?  Thanks for you help

Nancy Carlson
LMS
Farmington  High School
Farmington, CT
_nan71753@aol.com_  (mailto:nan71753@aol.com)

I just did a display with sad books with the caption "Cry your eyes out  over
these" and then put a Kleenix box on the display. By the way, I got that
idea from someone on LM-Net.

How about Books That I'm Thankful were written:-)

My aide has done a wonderful display on historical fiction for  November --
kind of
tying in Thanksgiving and Veteran's Day etc. all in  one.

I would not limit it to seasonal. I have done displays that were very
popular entitled "It's a movie" featuring all the books I could gather up that  had
been made into movies, a display featuring the favorite book of each teacher
(with a sign at the top showing which teacher= which book. (This may have been
 the all-time most popular) Once I even did a display of all my favorite
books,  sort of as an answer to the kids who come in the library and hold up a
random  novel and ask if it is good. When I had that display up, I could tell
them I  haven't read all the novels but I've read the ones on the display and
they are  fantastic! That was an easy one to do; and as they checked out the
novels I  could easily grab some more.

One idea for November, if you insist on the seasonal, is Veteran's Day. I  am
sure you have many novels and nonfiction dealing with WW I, WWII, Vietnam
war, etc.

How about American History or cookbooks (time to feast)? We have some
Thanksgiving books too. Another thought: something about thankfulness --
We're thankful for good books/poetry/whatever...

How about "Give Thanks for books" or something else with  thanks...?

How about "This is NOT a turkey!" for a display of good  books?

I am getting ready to do a books vs. movie display. I realize yours  is high
school, but with Polar Express, Lemony Snicket, and even going back to  Lord
of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc., I'm going to put books and VHS/DVD's etc  in
the display case, although the books are so popular I hate to take some out
of circulation!

I know that many "younger" schools will celebrate Children's Book  Week, and
there's always American Education Week, National Geography  Month....

In my district, November has Native American Week. Why not  displays
of Native American materials, and those dealing with  Thanksgiving,
contributions of Native Americans?

How about books that have really changed peoples lives, or made  a
difference in their lives with a title of "Books we are thankful for"

Some suggested titles are
A Child Called It
Let's Roll
Message in  a Bottle
Chicken Soup for the Soul of America

National Education Week-This year's theme: Celebrating the American
Dream.

What about books we are greatful for or A Feast of Books

How about a "make a gift for someone" or "getting ready for holidays"  and
put out books on crafts, needlework, woodworking, decorations, cook books,  etc.

How about spotlighting a specific author.

sure you have many replies, how about GIVING THANKS for books--display  can
include your favorites, teacher favorites, student favorites. cb

Books We're Thankful For
This year I'm doing a display of all  my faculty and staff's favorites with
their comments and why they like them. I'm  going to copy some of their
pictures from the yearbook, etc...

How about historical fiction and history of our country?

This has nothing to do with Nov. but want to share my favorite  book
display. I borrow huge pots and pans, and ladles, and such from  our
cafeteria and fill them with BOOKS! I've done new books (chow down on  a
new read), cook books (things are cooking in the Library), etc.

I believe November is Native American Heritage Month, so you might  look and
see what books you have to support this. Just be sure you are  offering up to
date titles that don't support stereotypes. if you are new to  your
collection you will want ot examine it carefully before displaying, and
check _http://www.oyate.org_ (http://www.oyate.org)  for their view  of
what's appropriate. You might
also want to look at Sunlinks Weed of the  month site
_http://www.sunlink.ucf.edu/weed/_ (http://www.sunlink.ucf.edu/weed/) .
Although they did Native Americans in 1997
it's still a good  guideline.
(now, I know you didn't ask about having to buy new vbooks for  this display

A Feast of Books and choose books that have great  descriptions of food or
meals like any Patricia Cornwell book.

_http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/upcoming/bygenre/basedonabook/2004/_
(http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/upcoming/bygenre/basedonabook/2004/)

_http://www.clayton.k12.ga.us/bulletinboards/_