Hi!  I got many good ideas for books to use with my
students.  Here is the list.  Hope I did not duplicate
any titles.

Science Fiction for Grades 3 - 5

The My Teacher Is An Alien series by Coville, Norby
Queen's Necklace by Asimov
Zathura by Van Alisburg
The Wump World by Bill Peet
There is an old series from the 1960s called Matthew
Looney Izoo by
       Nancy Robinson

Believe it or not, Charlie and the Great Glass
Elevator by Roald Dahl is Sci fi.
a series called Delthora Quest

Fat Men from Space by Daniel M. Pinkwater
Stinker from Space by Pamela Service
Aliens for Breakfast by Jonathan Etra

The Forgotten Door by Key with fifth grade

I stretched the Catwings books by LeGuin and The
Lemonade Trick by Corbett into the genre and use with
third grade.

Commander Toad series by Yolen will work with your
second graders.

Of those listed below I can strongly recommend:
Rodomonte's Revenge (gr. 3 or 4)
Shape-Changer, Earthborn, Space Race, and Star
Hatchling (all gr. 4
-6) as especially good choices:

The fungus that ate my school   Dorros, Arthur
Science fair bunnies    Lasky, Kathryn
Alistair in outer space Sadler, Marilyn
Alistair's time machine Sadler, Marilyn
June 29, 1999   Wiesner, David
The Random House book of science fiction stories
edited by Mike Ashley
I was a third grade science project     Auch, MaryJane
Star hatchling  Bechard, Margaret
Shape-changer   Brittain, Bill
The hairy horror trick  Corbett, Scott
Aliens ate my homework  Coville, Bruce
Aliens stole my body    Coville, Bruce
The attack of the two-inch teacher      Coville, Bruce.
I was a sixth grade alien               Coville, Bruce
It goes eeeeeeeeeeeee   Gilson, Jamie
Zap! I'm a mind reader  Greenburg, Dan.
Among the Barons                Haddix, Margaret Peterson.
Escape to Witch Mountain        Key      Alexander
Return from Witch Mountain      Key, Alexander
Alien secrets           Klause, Annette Curtis
A swiftly tilting planet        L'Engle, Madeleine
A wind in the door              L'Engle, Madeleine
A wrinkle in time               L'Engle, Madeleine
Gathering Blue  Lowry, Lois
The giver       Lowry, Lois
Miss Pickerell goes to the Arctic               MacGregor, Ellen
The greatest show off earth             Mahy, Margaret
The computer that ate my brother        Marney, Dean,
Ned Feldman, space pirate               Pinkwater, Daniel Manus
The gigantic ants and other cases       Simon, Seymour
The time machine: and other cases       Simon, Seymour
C.O.L.A.R: a tale of outer space                Slote, Alfred
The case of the gasping garbage         Torrey, Michele.
The case of the graveyard ghost, and other
super-scientific cases  Torrey, Michele.
The case of the Mossy Lake monster: and other
super-scientific cases
       Torrey, Michele.
Earthborn               Waugh, Sylvia.
Space race              Waugh, Sylvia.

My teacher flunked the planet   Coville, Bruce
The Wrath of Squat              Coville, Bruce.
The search for the missing bones                Moore, Eva.
Rodomonte's Revenge     Paulsen, Gary
Book of names           Peel, John
The fight for justice           Peel, John, 1954
Help! I'm trapped in an alien's body    Strasser, Todd
The outer space mystery         Warner, Gertrude Chandler
Animorphs

June 29, 1999 by David Wiesner to introduce criteria
for sci fi.

City of Ember, very interesting Sci Fi novel for
intermediate readers

Space Race and sequels by Wahl.

My Robot Buddy, by Alfred Slote to grade 5.  It is
easy to read aloud,
short and has an interesting plot. You can stress the
changes in
technology since it was written in 1975 and the fact
that the
predictions (solar cars everywhere) are not all true
yet. My Trip to
Alpha One is also by Slote and I really like it, too.

Isaac Asimov's Norby series is very popular with my
students.
Mark Crilley's Akiko series is also popular.

Grade 2:  Commander Toad series by Jane Yolen is a
take-off of Star Trek and Star Wars.  They are very
funny.  Even a video was made.  It's a bit cheesy but
might be worth using.

Also look for Star Wars early readers --if you can
find them. They are out of print.   Star Wars theme
books come in many reading levels.  They are not great
literature, but may do.  They'll have series names
like Jedi Academy.

I had a lot of fun last spring comparing an old
original Star Trek TV show with the video of Commander
Toad and asking 5th graders to find similarities and
differences.

Magic Tree House books?  The characters time travel
back into history, I believe.  I'm not sure how.
Maybe they are more fantasy than SF.  Or Time Warp
Trio.

Pendragon series by MacHale: starting with Merchant of
Death about a boy who encounters somebody called a
Traveler who’s able to go between worlds on
adventures.

You might try Dr. Who stories which feature 2
earthlings who get caught up in interstellar travel
via a space vehicle disguised as a British phone
booth.

The Green book by Walsh and Bobo Crazy by Sadler are
both good lower level science fiction.

Marcia Gemler
Librarian, Cleveland Municipal Schools
mgemler@yahoo.com