I need some advice---

I'm meeting with ALL of the principals and the headmaster of our school on
Tuesday to talk about some library issues.  Most of them deal with THEIR
expectations of the library and my "issues" with their disregard and lack of
acknowledgement of the library programs and what I am trying to teach and
do. (Think I have issues? <grin>).

 This year, I was asked to write my "professional goals" and my first goal
(as I stated in an earlier message on LM_NET) was "to make the
administration aware of the library programs and the importance of
Information Literacy within the curriculum...."

My administration truly does not (and probably will never) place the library
program as a central part of the school's program; however, when I try to
explain (use of studies, reports, documentation, etc.) that libraries have
developed into THE heartbeat of a school's program and that they directly
relate to student achievement, they arrogantly "blow off" my comments and
tell me (privately) that I am "changing things too fast" and that I am
"offending others" with my comments regarding--- copyright (we violate it
from the administration level down), plagiarism (when we catch students, we
don't discipline), developing better research (asking better questions at
the teaching level helps to eliminate plagiarism and increases student's
ability to use critical thinking skills)....each of these areas I have been
told, "steps on the toes" of  SO many individuals and causes problems (I'm
sure that arresting someone who has robbed a bank "steps on the toes" of the
bankrobbers, but isn't that why we have police officers?).

I've been told that I can't control the curriculum (show teachers how to
teach better, ask better questions, or become involved with their
syllabus--which would also be helpful in collection development); I can't
tell people that they're violating copyright (even when I see a MAJOR
situation that could cost them MILLIONS because they believe that copyright
doesn't apply to "them"); and I shouldn't try to ask to work with "all
students" because only a few teachers will work with me consistently and
only their students will receive proper training...the rest will have to
learn the hard way--when they go to college).  I can't ask for a mandate
from the administration that teachers use the library, require research
using the library materials, or collaborate with me --that would be too
restrictive (although I couldn't work with everyone anyway right now because
of limited staffing-- only myself and a part-time assistant).

Granted, I am usually straight-forward when it comes to these types of
professional issues and how they relate to my area.  I know that I can't
change my demeanor on these things because when I see that students (and
teachers / administrators) are disregarding these issues after I've share
with them the "right thing to do," I become irritated and frustrated with my
efforts to change their mind-set.  Obviously, they want to continue doing
what they do and no amount of talking or illustrating will make them change.

Part of my problem (I feel) is the overwhelming number of hours that I spend
at school (45 hours a week--scheduled to be there, although we are open 50
hours a week and my assistant opens 30 minutes before I arrive).  Taking a
break is virtually impossible because of the scheduling between the two
schools (MS and HS) and lunch is "swallowed whole" because there is no time
to eat outside of the library--we eat in the library because we have no one
to relieve us.  No one sees this part of the situation because even the
administration leaves at 4:00 p.m.  I've explained this to my principals for
the past two years and they ignore it because no one is throwing a "hissy
fit"---well, now I have.  My "fit" involves the administration ignoring the
needs of the library and their disregard of issues that I feel will help in
many areas of the curriculum (students struggling in research, writing,
reading, etc.).

I won't be able to remain in this situation much longer because it truly
compromises my professional and ethical beliefs.  On Friday when I spoke to
a teacher about my "issues," she advised me to "ignore it and just do the
things that you CAN do--catalog, collection development, teaching what you
can...."  However, I believe that these "ethical and professional issues"
are so tightly interwoven in my ability to do things directly relating to
instruction and collaboration, that I will be killing myself (literally)
because I can't make them understand the importance of these matters in
education.

So...on Tuesday, we will talk.  They will be explaining some things relating
to the library and their expectations and I will be explaining how libraries
(and librarians) are operating in the 21st century.  We will clash on issues
and I will not win. (I know because even if I am given "lip service" on
these issues, the support won't come. )  I have had meetings like this
before.  They only want to smooth feathers and make me think that they will
help.  They haven't followed through on anything that they've offered yet,
so I'm pretty much listening to them "crying wolf."

What can I say to these individuals to make a difference?  Can I say
anything ELSE?  I am terribly pessimistic with this already (since I've
already taken down my personal items in my office and have them boxed up to
go).  There comes a time when you truly have to "shake the dust off your
feet" and move ahead.  (Sorry for the Biblical analogies, but I feel like I
AM "throwing pearls to swines.")  Am I being too arrogant myself?  Am I
letting stupid things interfere with my profession / job (my husband thinks
so because I am paid very well, have a great retirement, great benefits, and
a wonderful library budget--but this is "professional ethics"--and the
situation that I'm in makes me compromise my beliefs and what I've been
taught as a professional.)   Does anyone else get this annoyed?  Is it old
age? <grin>  What medications are you taking? <grin>

Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts....any job openings in North Texas or
Oklahoma....? Keep me in mind...I'll seriously be looking in the spring....I
am certified in both states, have an MLIS and will be working on my PhD in
the summer (if I'm admitted...crossing fingers!)

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX
sbrisco021@charter.net