I've had a chance to digest all the info that came in about this question
and finally found the time to post a HIT. The answers came in two different
categories:

An event or newsletter that announces the new books

Instructions for how to get my Winnebago system to alphabetize or print my
new books in call number order

Both were extremely helpful and I will summarize the answers below:

An event or newsletter that announces the new books:

1.I have a new book letter which I make lots of copies of on a colored paper
stock, and keep in a file folder in my file drawer. I call it my "Preview"
letter.  It simply states that this is a new book that I think they may be
interested in and that I have checked it out to them; they may keep it for a
while or return it if they prefer. I mention they may wish to make note of
it in their planning book for future reference if they want to request it
for classroom use later in the year. They often do.

I left enough room at the bottom of the letter for any additional
information I may want to add, or they can use it to comment back.

I just check out the book(s), pencil in their name at the top of the paper,
and insert the page inside the front cover, and then drop it off in their
office box. I find this works better than trying to do a mass display of new
items on several or all grade levels - that is a lot of work and seeing too
many books at once is overwhelming anyway. This is much more personal and
not overwhelming.

2.I served popcorn cake. It's like rice crispy treats except you use
popcorn, M & M's, the marshmallow cream and nuts, pressed into a bundt pan.

3.I used to check the books out to the teachers that I thought would be
interested in them and hope that they would spread the word. They always
liked that special attention. Only draw back was sometimes they'd forget to
return them;-)

4. In Follett I can go to OPAC and choose the books and put them into a
bookbag.  When I choose to print the book bag the list includes a summary of
the book.

5. I don't know if this is possible in your system (I use Athena) but when I
get a new shipment of books, I create a separate collection for them and
load all the records there prior to merging them into the main collection.
This makes it a lot easier to make sure everything is as I want it, and
easier to find records if I decide somethign needs to be added or changed.
It's also easy to print a list of the new books because I can print a shelf
list sorted by call number, and the only thing on it is the new books.

6. The way that I advertise them to students is by Xeroxing the cover and
making a bulletin board with new titles - after all - every seems to judge a
book by it's cover.

I also have a special new book section in the library. When I get new books,
I place a smiley face sticker on the top of the spine so we all know that it
is new and then shelve it in it's special New Book Section.

7. I try to send out a one-page newsletter-type announcement. In it I'll
tell them how many new books have been added and give a general idea.

"We have 145 new animal books." I'll also mention specific titles and
authors as space permits. I always display new books on top of the bookcases
with signs that say "New Books" and that seems to draw their attention.

8.A couple of times a year (before vacations) we host Tea and New Titles
after school. We put out all the new books, serve tea and cookies and chat.
We get quite a turn out. In addition to showing new books, we get faculty
HERE in the library. We also host the last staff breakfast of the year and
the theme is summer reading. We sign things out for the summer. That too is
very popular and has won us many friends.

9.I have an open house for teachers twice a year when I receive my big book
buys. I arrange the books by subject matter and genre. I serve petit fours,
cookies and soft drinks and also hold a raffle. Each teacher who looks
through the books can enter the raffle. I usually raffle off movie passes or
Starbucks gift cards. I have also given bookstore gift cards which have met
with less enthusiastic response. My raffle budget is usually $20-$30.
Teachers seem to enjoy this approach, and I have noticed that they use the
resources on display more.

10. I have a "Book Tasting." I send out invitations, lay all the books out,
and have lots of food.

11.I never send lists because in my experience teachers simply don't have
time to read them.  Instead, I have a "Bagels and Books" (NYC) breakfast
before classes -- on the "If you feed them, they will come" theory,  and
display, sorted by topic/genre, as many new books as I can on the library
tables for teachers to look through.   If I have huge amounts of books, I
might invite one grade a morning, although then you run into forking up for
the breakfasts unless your school food service will do it.

12.  I host a "Books and Breakfast" for my teachers when I receive large
shipments. All the books are displayed by grade level, topic, genre, etc. I
serve breakfast pastries and coffee/ juice. The teachers really enjoy this
opportunity to browse, share and socialize a bit. Many books are checked out
immediately, and reserve lists are started as well for the most popular
titles. I also make copies of the packing list, which is very easy to skim
through.

Instructions for how to get my Winnebago system to alphabetize or print in
call number order:

1. I go to Materials--Custom Indexes.
    Index Name: New Arrivals
    First Field: Holding Date Added
    Second Field: Call Number
    Third Field: Title

    Then when you run the report, go to Report, Materials. Choose New
Arrivals as the Index. For Options,  choose Short Form, and for Change
Custom Index, input the dates of your new arrivals.

    The report will include material number and price, but I just cut them
off.

    It will sort by Call number and will include the author.

2. I also use Spectrum. Set the report to print in Excel format. Then
arrange the fields the way you want. I use call number order. Then I post
the list on the Common Drive on our network and send out an email to
announce that the new book list is posted.

3. In Setup, Reports.

You can choose HTML or txt files for each kind of report.

If you choose txt, (I think I type xls in the empty space, I'm at home, and
working from memory) then the report is generated in Excel and you can sort
and reformat to your heart's content.

4.You could print yourself the list by date added, then type in the material
numbers on circulation, double click on the item, then click on the Card
Image tab. Then, you can copy and paste info from the card image into a word
document or a publisher's document. If it has a book summary, even better!

Karen Potter, Librarian

South Hill Elementary School

South Hill VA

potters@telpage.net