Hi Jacque,

Yes, no matter how hard we look, sometimes the answers just aren't in
the MLA book - - or any book for that matter.

I taught English for 21 years, including AP Lit for the last ten. Even
when I became librarian, I taught the AP class until this year. I'd say
the answer lies in the source itself.

Is each article in the "The Encyclopedia of Serial Kilers" written by a
different author? If so, I would enter each article separately beginning
with the author's name. If the articles are unsigned, I would still cite
them separately beginning with title - - if my student had three
articles from World Book (unlikely, but possible), I would want to see
separate citations for each one. This is where copy-and-paste skills
come in so handy.

When teaching MLA style, the most important concepts are that A) there
are "rules" for publishing college-level work; B) there are several
different sets of rules - - MLA, APA, etc.; C) it is important to know
which set of rules your college/instructor expects you to use; D) you
need to know where to find a manual for your rules - - in a book, on
line, etc.; E) you need to know how to use the manual; and F) you need
to ask your instructor if you have questions about a particular
citation.

Other than that, I made my students know the basic forms of citation
for print and online resources and had them check the MLA manual for
lesser used citations.

Hope this helps,

Peg

Peg Alexander, MLIS