Rebecca Endlich --  Thanks for a challenge.  I am working on a private,
detailed response but here is some general comments:

1 - The Pacific Northwest has over 100 professional science fiction writers
such as Greg Bear, Ursula LeGuin, Terry Brooks, Louise Marley and Octavia E.
Butler. A Google search on Pacific Northwest science fiction gives 465,000 hits.

2 -  Build the collection on local writers. You might invite one to come to
your library and help you weed the books.

3 - Excellence in Science Fiction for Children award books are listed at
www.goldenduck.org with lesson plans and reading quizzes. Other award winning
books include the Hugo (fan selected) and Nebula (writer selected) see
dpsinfo.com/awardweb/

4 - The Science Fiction Museum in Salem OR is beta testing a recommended
reading list of over 2,000 science fiction books that are used in the Science
Fiction in the Classroom project

5 - Finally, ask your student which books should be in your library. I work
at a number of schools and at each one I find students reading science fiction.

Enjoy your science fiction books.  Your students do.

David-Glenn Anderson
Cascadia RFF/DYR
Seattle05 at Juno.com
www.cascadiacon.org