You guys are absolutely amazing!!  I am new to the library field, and coming up
with a list like this on my own was tough - I am so glad I have your help!!

Thank you!!!

Below is (1st) the questions that they are asking this week & then (2nd) a list of
all the wonderful dog characters you sent me.

Now I have to choose the best 3 for the contest!!  Oh well, that's better than not
having any!

DEAR WeekLunch Room Book Trivia

Monday
Which book did these FIRST LINES come out of:

   Sometimes during your life – in fact, very soon – you may find yourself reading
a book, and you may notice that a book’s first sentence can often tell you what
sort of story your book contains.  (answer:  Miserable Mill by Lemony Snicket)
   There was a red post out in front of Marvin Redpost’s house.  (answer: Marvin
Redpost, Class President)
   On a morning in mid-April, 1687, the brigatine Dolphin left the open sea, sailed
briskly across the Sound to the wide mouth of the Connecticut River and into
Saybrook harbor.  (answer:  The Witch of Blackbird Pond)

Tuesday
Where in the world???  Which book did these addresses/locations come from:

   Wits end at the Creative Academy (answer – Surviving the Applewhites)
   Number four, Privet Drive. (answer – Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets)
   667 Dark Avenue (answer – Ezratz Elevator from the Series of Unfortunate Events)

Wednesday
Character Day…..Which book do these characters belong to:
1.        Jonas, Lily, and Gabriel (answer – The Giver)
   Jeffrey Lionel Magee (answer – Maniac Magee)
   Ponyboy (answer – The Ousiders)
 Thursday
Dog day – which books do these dogs belong to:

Friday
Library/Book Knowledge

   Can you name 3 types of reference books? (answers:  encyclopedia, dictionary,
atlas, almanac, etc)
   Can you name 3 Fiction genres (hint – books are now shelved by these in the
library)?  (answers – humor, romance, science fiction, action, adventure,
mystery/suspense, horror)
   Where is the best place to begin your research on the Internet? (answer – The
Databases:  Newsbank, Encyclopedia Britannica, EBSCO, and Facts on File)

Dog Character Ideas:

101 dalmatians?   In the original "chapter book" Perdita is a different

dog, not the "wife", but maybe you could do something with Pongo?

How about Shep,

or old

Shep, in No More Dead Dogs by Gordon Korman? The dog Harold in

Bunnicula by

James Howe?

I think Ribsy shows up in Henry Huggins?

How about "Stone Fox" and "Where the Red Fern Grows?"

Tawana

Bunnicula,and the James Howe series

Choldenko:  Notes from a Liar and her Dog  (Pistachio)

Vande Velde:  Smart Dog  (Sherlock)

Howe:  Any of the Bunnicula series (Howie and Chester are both dogs)

Snyder:  Janie's Private Eyes (Nightmare)

Kjelgaard:  Nose for Trouble (Smokey)

Crayder:  Joker and the Swan (King Charles Spaniel)

Gardiner:  Stone Fox (Searchlight)

Mowat:  Dog Who Wouldn't Be (Mutt)

Wallace:  Backward Bird Dog (J. C.)

Auch:  Latchkey Dog (Amber)

Rylant:  Gooseberry Park (Kona)

Junie B. Jones (Tickle)

The Good Dog (McKinley)

The Wizard of OZ (Toto)

Henry Huggins (Ribsy)

Star in the Storm (Sirius)

Nothing Wrong with a Three legged dog (Leftovers)

Lewis and Clark and me:  A Dog's Tale (Seaman)

Tuck Triumphant (Friar Tuck)

Why not do it as a fill in the blank?   ____________Tail by Cynthia

Rylant

(Walter's) or _______the Cow Dog

Not a well known, but one of my favorite dog books is Only One

Woof  by James Herriot.  The dog is named "Gyp".

Seaman in Lewis and Clark and Me.

How about Fluffy the three-headed dog from Harry Potter?

Nana from Peter Pan

There's Nana from Peter Pan.

Howard from Bunnicula.

Toto from the Wizard of Oz.

And all those dogs from Hairy Maclary

How about, "Where the red fern grows"?

Love that dog

I can do dog books - no time to look up the names :-)

Incredible journey

Call of the wild

Where the red fern grows

Hundred and one dalmations

How about the captain's dog - Seaman - from the book The Captain's Dog:

My Journey with Lewis and Clark?

Where the red fern grows by Rawlings

Fortibras (the family dog) plays an important part in "A Wrinkle in

Time" -

Madeleine L'Engle.

Just off the top of my head, Lewis and Clark and Me--Dog's name is Seaman.  Also
what about Dear Mrs. LaRue, Letters from Obedience School...Ike LaRue.

Tock from the Phantom Tollbooth

Theresa Nelson, Librarian
Tom Browne Middle School
Corpus Christi, TX