Hi everyone,
I am looking for some feedback on how you deal with library cards (or if you use
them in your school) and generally what students must show in terms of ID to
check out materials. This school has always given MS and HS students a "patron
card" with a barcode on it to use to check out books. Students MUST have their
card to check out and if they lose the card, must pay $5 to replace it. I am
new to this position, but it is beginning to seem that many students do not
replace the card and therefore don't check books. The Student Body Government
is pressing me to accept the regular student ID as sufficient. This would
require the circulation clerk to type in a name rather than scan the bar code.
I would love to hear how other people handle this and any suggestions you may
have. I want to keep kids checking out books and other materials but I don't
want to "loosen up" beyond the norm or make things more inefficient for our
staff - and I do want to teach kids to be responsible. I'd love to go to an all
in one card system, but this may not be possible in the near future at my
school. Thanks!

Jana
--
Jana Roth