WE have both NEC VT45s and some Sharp LCD projectors.  The lamps run about
$500 each but are good for 1500-2000 hours.

One thing - we purchase the lamps from the same company we got the
projectors from- and we insisted on projectors they knew they could get
lamps for easily.  I have extras on hand and when I get down to two extras I
will order more.

The principal has installed these projectors and he made it clear that the
teachers are required to clean the filter at least once - and preferably
twice a year and to turn off the lamps if they are not using the projector.
Only one lamp blew and that was because the teacher ignored cleaning the
filter and kept the lamp on all day.  The filters are easy to clean - they
are small sponge ones that wash and dry quickly and snap in and out.
Interesting note: When that teacher came to me for a replacement lamp, I
told her she would have to install it as I cannot climb on ladders. She said
she didn't think that was her job - I told her to go to the principal and
ask him to change it for her; he gave her a stool and told her it was easy,
he would help her. He talked her through it.  She is very careful with the
projector now.

Toni Koontz
Librarian
St. Charles Preparatory School