Years ago when I was only employed on a half-time basis in the media  center,
I instituted a color dot organizational system by literary genre for
paperbacks as they were not included in the card catalog.  My library aides  and
parent volunteers appreciated this as they were not as familiar with the
collection, so this helped them assist students to locate appropriate genre  titles.

Now all titles are organized into the OPAC and can be located via the  online
catalog, so I am considering doing away with the color dots for  paperbacks.
(I'm also in the media center on a full time basis and can  assist students
with book searches as needed.)

 Instead, I'm considering adding spine labels onto the paperbacks and
shelving them together along with the hardback books.  This will also  eliminate the
need for supplemental paperback books shelving once we move to our  new
facility in a year from now.  It will also make it easier to locate  books as all
books by the same author will be shelved together, thus avoiding  the need to
look in two different places for a specific title.

I'd appreciate hearing from those of you who have done this at your  middle
school - the pros and cons of having hardbacks and paperbacks  shelved
together.  There may be things I haven't considered.  Please  share your insights
with
me regarding this matter.  Thanks.
If there is any interest, I will post a hit.

Deborah Maehs, LMS
Kingfisher Middle School LMC
600 South 9th Street
Kingfisher, OK  73750