Alice--this sounds like a conversation over wine at
Midwinter--with handouts. Two of the reasons we
incorporated teaching technology within our course is
because the college has decided to only support the
Microsoft suite and the library wanted to maintain the
course as a mandated gen ed course for undergrads. We
taught more contact minutes and more content for the
same money and correcting took me three times as long
(my whine).

But, I was able to say that all assignments had to be
submitted as attachments in Word or PowerPoint or
Excel and get tough when they tried to use another
app. There is a classrooom management program, Angel,
that is available and those professors using it had
much more serene semesters than I. As an adjunct, I
got signed on too close to the beginning of the
semester to dare to use it but next semester I will.

I'm on my way out of the door (we start school VERY
early in the AM) but will recommend two of the good
Microsoft tutorials that I used with my students
(These are the Word links):

“Technology Skills Orientation: Word 2000 Tutorial.”
2002. Florida Gulf Coast University
< http://www.fgcu.edu/support/office2000/word/>

“Microsoft Word  Tutorial.” Bay City (MI) City Schools
Staff Training Services <http:// www.
Bcschools.net/staff/WordHelp.htm>

More offlist later over the weekend. Have a good
weekend, Sara J

--- Alice Yucht <aliceinfo@optonline.net> wrote:

> Sara:
> On LM_Net, you wrote "This semester, we introduced
> teaching Microsoft Office
> technology within the information literacy
> curriculum and had "interesting"
> results."
>
> PLEASE tell me more! -- I teach online for Rutgers
> LIS/PD program, and one
> of the major problems we encounter is the variety of
> desktop apps students
> are/not using, and what their 'assignments' look
> like.  (not to mention
> problems with opening various formats)
>
> Also: I'm in the process of developing an online
> course on *Info Sources &
> Services for Youth* (aka Ref for School librarians),
> and would looooove to
> see any syllabi being used !
>
> Happy Turkey to you --
>
> Alice Yucht

=====
Lake Placid Middle/Senior HS LMC
250 Main Street
Lake Placid, NY 12946
518-523-2474, ext. 4132
FAX: 518-523-4861
johns@northnet.org
SaraKJohns@aol.com

"Information is the currency of democracy." -- Thomas Jefferson