Months and months ago, I asked about setting up a listserv/message board for
a professional organization.  This was not a TARGET, but some people asked
for the information, so I decided to post so that anyone interested could
have the info.

Here's what I was sent:

-----------

With Yahoo groups, you can do just what you are talking
about.  You set it up as a newsletter and then put the people you want to
be able to send messages as moderators.  It can be privately listed and
have several other controls.  It is very easy to walk through the set up
process.

Topica is useful place to start

http://www.topica.com/

if you have access to a pc that can be a server, you can use
Lsoft's Listserv. They have an option that will let you buy a basic
amount of 'points' . (5 is the minimum (150 users per point). That
option, with using their email program (lsmtp) will give all the
options that lmnet has for around $1500.  and also allow you to set
up an announcments list.

The next option is to set up a list at Topica
(http://www.topcia.com). It's free, but there are drawbacks. Topica
host lists that frequently get on the Spam blacklists. However, there
is a web interface where the mail can be read.

Or, if you have an ISP that will  host lists, use it. Most of them
use majordomo as the list server program, and its is a workhorse, if
not fancy. Or, if you have a static ip address and have a spare pc,
you can download majordomo (it's shareware, or free) and run your own
listserver.

Both majordomo and Lsoft have email lists for the folks who use the
software as an added tech service point.

I just worked out with my tech department an online bulletin board system,
which they say will serve those roles, and allow for sort of 'mini
administrators' who can decide who can post, what the group's purpose is and
things like that.  The software is free and downloadable.  Go to
http://phpbb.com/ to see what it's like.  Go to 'communities' to see it in
action.

. uses a company called Skywaves. They are a primarily Internet hosting
company but we got listserve capabilities with the email. I'm not sure if
they do just email but if you wanted a web site and email together they
could certainly do it. Their Quick Domain setup is $300 a year.

For more info try http://www.skywaves.com/index.asp and
http://www.skywaves.com/content/quickdomain.htm

Their list options include only subscribers posting, only moderator posts,
reply to just the sender not to the list and is all graphical management. It
's very easy.

Rena Deutsch, Librarian
Bayard Rustin HS for the Humanities
351 W. 18th Street