From: Carl Seale
To: LM_NET
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 2004 12:40 PM
Subject: Target: Copyright Law on Book Return

My wife bought 2 copies of the same book by accident at Wal-Mart a few days ago and
we were told that we could not return books, tapes, or CDs because copyright law
prohibits the return.  I have dealt with copyright law since it was changed in the
1970s and I have never found any place in the law that prohibits the return of
items to a point of sale within a reasonable time.  Am I correct in guessing that
this is just a way that Wal-Mart uses to keep from accepting returns on items or is
there something in the law that I have missed?  I have not run into this at any
other location.

This is probably a question for Carol Simpson more than most of us.

Carl Seale, Librarian -- Retired
cbseale@sbcglobal.net
http://www.antiquesnthings.net

Such is the human race. Often it does seem such a pity that Noah and his party did
not miss the boat.
      Mark Twain