Many thanks to:
Sara and Yvonne  both in  Illinois, Suji, Charlottesville and Melissa all
from different libraries in VA; Megan in MA; Linda in OK; Jill in NY; and
Gail (location unknown).  Apologies if I missed anyone.

The original query was a request for information for a colleague who has an
interview for a position at a public library as a Children's Librarian.  She
has only ever worked in school libraries, although has used public libraries
and their children's services with her own kids.  If there is anyone with
public library experience (or maybe even a current Children's Librarian?),
are there any tips, hints or other information of which she should be aware?

What sort of questions are likely at the interview (and suggested
library interview?

----------------------------

I would suggest considering ways she would be willing to work with the
community, because that is really the area she would be serving.  Children's
librarians do a lot of the same work school librarians do, but they work
with bigger budgets (usually :) ) and in an environment that is NOT as kid
oriented.  I fortunately work under a library director that is very
considerate of youth services, but not all are.

The one thing I would want to make her aware of is the fact that the public
library follows different rules than a school.  Kids are allowed to check
out anything, be it appropriate or not.  Also, at least in my library, kids
with their own card are considered patrons the same as an adult.  I had a
fist fight between two kids in here and could not call their parents because
that would have been a violation of their privacy rights.

I love my job.  It is nice because I really develop relationships with my
kids.  It’s a little different from my school experiences because the kids
react to me differently just because I'm not their teacher.

-----------------------------------

I came from being a public children's librarian to this job. I think she may
be asked about

1. programming: creating programs such as the Summer Reading Program or
Storytime weekly programs, etc.

2. serving a broader community - meeting the needs of a diverse group of
people

3. was she in charge of the budget and collection development at her school?
Those are things the children's librarian will need to take care of at the
public library to a degree (depends on the library).

I really can't think of anything else, but then, I think being a school
librarian is about 16 times harder than being a public librarian! So she
should BREEZE it!

------------------------

I used to be a public librarian.  I think the main difference is a focus on
programming, which is much greater in public libraries than in most
schools.  A good children's librarian has a lot of creative ideas and ways
to promote them.

Some questions she might get asked:

1) One of your colleagues is sick and you have to take over their story
time.  You have five minutes to prepare a story time with craft, what do
you do?
The answer will depend on the librarian.  She should have one good, easy
story time with popular books that can be pulled out at any time.

2) There is a group of rowdy pre-adolescents that come in on an almost daily
basis.  How do you deal with disciplining them?
I am of the "every day is a new day, up to a point" school.  Most
administrators want the librarians to be a little tougher.

3) How would you handle a challenge to a book?

4) Should our computers be filtered? She should find out if they are or not
and then base her answer around that.

5) A parent leaves his or her young child in the children's room while going
off to the fiction section to find a book, what do you do? Enforce the
library policy, something else she should try to find out before the
interview.

--------------------

I have been a children's librarian and a branch librarian before coming to
the schools.

She needs to emphasize that she has done "programming" on a daily basis, and
it will be no problem to do story-times for all different ages. Also, she
might get a question about nights and weekends, and being used to being off
on them. Be prepared to convince them that the "8-4" job you had involved
many hours outside the workday, and that working one or two nights a week
(while getting to actually sleep late!) would be no problem.

Emphasize her knowledge of children's literature, and being able to help
children and parents choose library materials appropriate to the age level.
If the person was involved on any committees at the school, be sure to let
that be known-that she is willing to become a part of the bigger team
effort.

-----------------------------------

I worked in a large Children's Room for several years and thought she might
like to review these things:

1. Where you order Children's books from--we used reviews from Booklist and
School Library Journal
2. How to plan Children's calendar of booktalks, story times, story telling
3. Ideas for running a summer reading program
4. Ideas for cooperating with school librarians and teachers
5. Sources for programs--we did monthly puppet shows--
I remember in my first interview being asked if I could do puppet theater.
(If she wants tips on it I'd be glad to answer questions.)
6.Be familiar with books that are chosen for various awards--Caldecott,
Newbery, etc.
7. How to encourage youth usage of the public library
8. Consider idea of censorship in books and on the internet

--------------------

I'm an ex children's librarian - I was with Houston Public Library – now I'm
a school librarian, which I like much more! Here are some things I would
want to know:

What is the schedule for being on the reference desk? (If you're on the
reference desk almost all the time, it makes it very difficult to plan
programs, do ordering, etc.)
What weekly and special programs would I be responsible for?
What is my budget?
What meetings would I attend?
What support is there for Professional Development?
Good  luck to your friend, I enjoyed the public library, but I like the
increased independence, variety etc, in the schools. Also, I couldn't live
with only 2 weeks off a year!

----------------

I was the Director of a Public Library for 4 years and the Children's
Library was constantly running children's programs for kids. During the day
she did preschool activities and toddler activities. After school she did
reading programs and ativities for school age children. During the summer
she did a Summer Reading program that lasted 5 weeks with major activities
at each of the sessions. She produced bibliographies and Accelerated Reader
lists of books in the library. She attended meetings and purchased
children's books.

------------

I was asked about having to work on school holidays. Public libraries often
run programs for kids on days of no school and forget about taking a
vacation during
the summer.  Also, she may be asked about working weekend hours.

Many thanks again,
Amanda Credaro
Teacher Librarian-at-large
Sydney, Australia