Second part of current picks by students:
(Some duplicates were deleted and a few duplicates were left in my two
hits. Sorry for that; I should have been consistent.)
*********
Lion Boy
Pendragon series (MacHale)

Speak, City of Beasts, Tithe, A Child Called It,
anything by Nicolas Sparks, Sarah Dessen, Agatha Cristie, Arthur Conan
Doyle, Zindel, or Voight but a select audience for Oates. By the way, we
are an all-girl's high school so the choices are not heavy "guy" themes.

The hottest titles here right now are A Child Called
It (and sequels) and Friday Night Lights.  Both have
long waiting lists.

MS:
Holes
Among the Hidden (all of series)
Life in the Fat Lane, by Bennett
Loser, and Stargirl, by Spinelli
Stephen Fair, by Tim Wynne-Jones

HS:
Anything by Walter Dean Myers (esp. Monster, Beast, Scorpions, Hoops)
Harlan Coben mysteries (TEll No One, Just One Look, No Second Chance...)
Speak
Ender's Game (all of series)
novels by Nicholas Sparks

Speak by Anderson and Monster by Myers rate quite high.

Cirque du freak series
gossip girl series
confessions of georgia nicholson series
All the books edited by Dr. Beatrice Sparks (Go Ask Alice, Annie's Baby,
etc.)
Can't keep Eragon on the shelf.
Ditto with Shadowmancer and its new sequel, wormwood

My boys also like the King Arthur series (by Crossley-Holland), but
hottest item by far is the Cirque du Freak (Shan) series followed by the
Series of Unfortunate Events (Snicket).

Girls are eagerly awaiting the newest installments in the Princess
Diaries series (my book order hasn't come in for fall).  Dear America
series remains popular with girls also.

Hottest topics in nonfiction are anything on skateboarding, followed by
branches of the military and dog/cat breeds.

Right now my STORMBREAKER series books are extremely popular with middle
school boys.  They have "struck a cord".  These include all of the
following:  STORMBREAKER, POINT BLANK, SKELETON KEY, EAGLE STRIKE.

ERAGON!!  And, the follow-up question to the librarian is:"Have you got
the sequel yet,
Answer:  It hasn't been published yet, but it is on order! LOL
And the next most requested title is (not yet in the collection but on
order) Allies of the Night (the next Cirque du Freak).

The most popular requests by the girls: The Steps by Rachel Cohn,
Dangerous
Girls by R. L. Stine, After by Francine Prose, God Went to Beauty School
by
Cynthia Rylant, It Happened to Nancy by Anonymous, Go Ask Alice by
Anonymous, any Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan, and Dancing in My Nuddy
Pants
by Louis Rennison.

The most popular requests by the boys: Dangerous Girls by R. L. Stine,
The
City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau, Hawksong by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, Swear
Howdy by Wendelin Van Draanen, any Cirque du Freak by Darren Shan, and
Grim
Grotto by Lemony Snicket

The boys at our middle school are reading the Alex Rider series:
Stormbreaker, Point Blank, Skeleton Key, and Eagle Strike. Our Series of
Unfortunate Events books are never on the shelf (with long waiting
lists).
My girls devour the Lurlene McDaniel books.

Smack by Burgess, the Rennison books (Full-frontal snogging, etc.), The
ring trilogy,
Catcher in the rye, Monster by Walter Dean Myers, all of the Tamora
Pierce series (Circle of magic, e.g.), Heaven eyes, Give a boy a gun.

Gregor the Overlander and Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane. Boys love
them.

I work in a high school library, and absolutely the hottest thing here
is the Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan. Also very popular is the
Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. Amelia Atwater-Rhodes and Walter
Dean Myers
are also pretty popular. And many of the girls love the Georgia
Nicholson
books. Nicholas Sparks is picking up a pretty good following.

Dragon Rider by Funke
Flipped by Van Draanen
Perennial favorites-Sharon Draper's Tears of a Tiger, Forged by Fire
Saranne Gans
Director of Library Services
Cistercian Preparatory School
3660 Cistercian Road