I am interested in your thoughts about the George Lucas publication
entitled, "EduTopia"--- available at:  http://www.edutopia.org
<http://www.edutopia.org>

First of all, the journal is free (which makes it even more inviting to
educators, parents and administrators) but then there's the issue of what
the journal provides in regard to unbiased presentation of materials to the
audience (readers).

In one of the graduate classes at UNT, we try to teach future librarians how
to evaluate materials (journals, magazines, infomerical-zines) for
problematic areas such as bias or perhaps an "agenda"-- are they trying to
sell the reader something or do they give an unbiased review of the products
or services?

Obviously, my first thought was that the George Lucas Foundation will have a
bias--to sell products that are developed by George Lucas and to utilize
films within education--as if our society is not already entrenched with
this medium.  However, I may be very skeptical and since I have not read through
all of the journal (online), I would like some or your ideas, thoughts or
concerns with this journal.

Since the product is "Free to Qualified Subscribers"--another point that we
make to our students is that "free to qualified subscribers usually means
that if you are breathing, have money in your wallet, and are able to click
the mouse, YOU QUALIFY!"  This also means that "you get what you pay for" in
terms of quality reviews, writing, content and coverage--(another thing that
we teach our students when they evaluate websites and materials!)  The fact
that this publication puts an "educational" spin for teachers and
administrators to feel comfortable reading and using for research / resource,
suddenly makes me very uneasy with JUST teaching my students how to evaluate
materials---should I also be doing this in-depth review of educational journals /
materials with my
faculty and administrators?

How many of you (or your faculty / administrators) subscribe to these types
of "free" materials that evaluate, review and / or comment on educational
products, services, or issues?  How much of an impact do these types of
products make in your school--do you know?  (I've seen an area superintendents
quoted as
stating that one "infomerical-zine" provided him with the guidance he needed
to select technology equipment for the entire district---I shudder to think
about that influence, since the man was fired recently and the district is
still trying to get out of millions of dollars worth of frivolous spending debt
and waste!)  Do you know what types of publications "aren't valid" sources
for reviews, research, etc?  Would your faculty and administrators think you
were paranoid for bringing this to their attention?

I ask this only because I have seen this situation happen twice in the past
three weeks at my school---and someone in a key position to make an
influential statement regarding "resources" shares the material with our
entire faculty via email---and now I am critically reviewing this (their source)
material
to determine how to dismantle the bad information and direct my faculty in
the way to look at information critically.

Just some thoughts.... I'd love to hear your comments or concerns.  If you
know more about the GLF, let me know.  Until I hear more, I will continue to
be skeptical of "freebies" in print and online (and hope that I can teach my
teachers / administrators to be the same!)

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX
briscos@trinityvalleyschool.org <mailto:briscos@trinityvalleyschool.org>

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Trinity Valley School
Fort Worth, TX  76132
817-321-0100 ext. 410
briscos@trinityvalleyschool.org

"Those who have the highest expectations for the web in terms of student research,
are those who work
with it, and students, the least."  -- LM_NET librarian