Apologies for cross-posting.

Our high school has just received $30,000 in technology monies (possibly
ongoing, but we aren't counting on it).  We are a small school district
with just over 300 students, so $30,000 is a good chunk of change for
us.  At the first meeting last night to discuss how to spend it, most of
the ideas were for smaller, individual teacher requests (an extra computer
here, some software for this department, a new printer there).  Our
principal would like to do something new and different with this funding
for disadvantaged students. Some ideas he's liking include leasing PDAs as
a district and allowing students to purchase them through monthly payments.
Investing in laptops for student checkout (we currently only have
AlphaSmarts for checkout). Here are a few of our concerns/questions with
these specific ideas.
1.  PDAs- we would buy Palms or Windows type with the basic Office
package.  Can they get easy, at home internet with these?  Also, how best
do you transfer data from one to move it to a workstation PC for printing?
2.  Laptops for home checkout - These would be checked out by students who
do not have a computer at home, most likely due to financial
limitations.  Is it worth the risk of damage, etc. when they probably do
not have the funds to repair for any damage or replace any lost
units.  What policies do you have in place?
3.  ANY other ideas for use of the funding?  Would LOVE suggestions as to
other ways we might spend the money for something new and beneficial to our
students.

Michelle Walker, Librarian
Hamilton Union High School
Hamilton Union Elementary School