From: Dawna Rumball <dawnarumball@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 19:45:26 -0600
Subject: Re: Web savvy librarian fooled by e-rumor (long)

You are so right in saying any web-site that ends in .org needs to be
double-checked per accuracy.  Anyone can have a web-site ending in
.org, and even my former librarian school professor has an .org
web-site for his recruiting company!

Here is what the congress.org web-site had to say about itself:
Congress.org is a service of Capitol Advantage, a private,
non-partisan company that specializes in facilitating civic
participation. It is powered by the award-winning CapWiz=E2=84=A2 system.

Just a reference for any official government business, look for .gov.

By the way, there's no "Congress" web-site, it is called www.house.gov.

I did some more research regarding a draft and here is what I found:

http://www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html

Note:  No where in this report are women included.  Men are the only
targets of a possible draft.  Fair or not? My opinion is not fair.

Copied and pasted from the "plan."
Support states in their efforts to pass legislation requiring young
men to register with Selective Service as a precondition to obtaining
a state motor vehicle driver's permit/license, or state identification
card.

Implement special mailings to large population, low compliance states and a=
reas.

Each Spring, publicize a "Registration Compliance Report Card" for all
the States and Territories. This will be accomplished by a national
press release.

Seek no- or low-cost methods of improving registration compliance to
include cooperative data sharing programs with other Federal and state
agencies, as well as additional outreach, public awareness and
registration initiatives.

Monitor Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) Form I-485 and
Form OF-230 electronic data transmissions to Selective Service which
result in the automatic registrations of male immigrants.

Obtain high school drop-out and voter registration lists.

Develop new approaches to identify nonregistrants and strategies for
the effective implementation of registration compliance

Well, if that isn't plans for a draft I don't know what it is?

--=20
Dawna L. Rumball, MLIS, MEd, CAS
Library and Disability Services Consultant
Saskatchewan, Canada