Hi folks,

Below are the responses I received from LM_Net re: the Literacy Empowerment
Foundation. Thanks to all who replied.

Doug

Doug Johnson
Director of Media and Technology
Mankato Area Public Schools
Box 8713, 1351 S Riverfront Dr.
Mankato MN 56001-8714
507-387-7698 x 473
dougj@doug-johnson.com
www.doug-johnson.com

If you want your children to be brilliant, read them fairly tales. If you
want them to be geniuses, read them more fairy tales. (attributed to Albert
Einstein)

*****************

I've looked into this in the past and there are extremely high shipping
prices for paper back books, which I try to avoid in my collection--unless
they are rebound. And again, no titles, just blind shipping of books which
really doesn't fit my coll. dev. policy. cb

*****************

I investigated LEF a few years ago.
The author of the books is the entire board of directors. A librarian I
know in another district did get some of the books and found the quality
to be poor. I think you're right...it's a marketing ploy for this guy's
books.......

Julie

*****************

Below are the responses from a similar query by Virginia Shaddix to LM_Net
posted earlier:

I too received an e-mail about the LEP matching funds grant.....we do not
use paper back books in the library and therefore will not be ordering any=
thing. I did call to get more info from them in case the teachers wanted =
to order for their own classroom library. You do not have any selection o=
f the books you get....you can only pick a level and then they will
send whatever from that level....they stated that many times the books being
sent change on a weekly basis.

Jana

My headmaster forwarded the email from them to me also. When I asked the
same question on LM-NET I only received 1 response and the person said not
to use them.

Debra

We purchased books through the LEF last year. We were building classroom
libraries. It was a way to get a large number of books at a good price, but=
the quality is not outstanding. With the matching book grant there are a=
number of books which are Reading Recovery books. But overall, these are=
not books that children will pick up and be excited about reading. For older
students we purchased the Scholastic sets for teachers
--50 books for $49. Better quality, higher interest, but some junk! I would
not recommend that LEF again.

Beth