Here's my TARGET post:
Last year I found and typed up a long and funny list of places a
student can look for a lost book.  I cannot find it now.  It had 30
or more places to look.  Does anyone have something like that?

Trust LM_NET to give me more than twice of what I asked for.  Many,
many people sent me lists, some in neatly formatted hand-out sheets,
one that makes bookmarks with the list on both sides.  All were, more
or less, like a post on Jan 12, 04.  Search the archives for  "HIT:
65+ Places to look".
When I put the whole subject line in, HIT: 65+ Places to look for a
lost book!, I couldn't get it.
Lists varied according to where the school is (Florida has "on the
beach") and how old the students are (high schools have "house where
you babysit").

Here is the Jan 12 post:

Places to check for a lost book
Remember that the library book has a spine label.
Where was the last place you remember having the book?
Describe the book: how big? Colors? Thick or thin?
What do you remember about the cover?
Is it hardcover or paperback?
If you're not sure, ask the librarian.
Around the house:
In the car (also check under the seats)
Under the baby's car seat
In the trunk of the car
Under the spare tire
In the other car
In the garage
Behind or under the washing machine or dryer
In the stroller bag
In the recycling bin
In my folder or binder
In my backpack. In my other  backpack.
In my sibling's backpacks
On top of the piano. In the piano bench
Ask the housekeeper
In the reclining chair (between the arm and the seat cushion)
Under or in back of the sofa (also check under cushions)
Under (or on top of) the kitchen (or dining room) table
Behind the refrigerator (fell off of the top)
In the freezer
On top of, behind, or under the oven & dishwasher
On my bedroom bookshelf
(Check all the books turned around backwards and behind other books on the
bookshelf)
On one of the other bookshelves
On/in my desk at home. Check sibling's desk
Under my bed. Under my sister or brother's bed
Between my sheets at the foot of my bed
Between my bed and the wall
Between the mattress and box springs
In the trundle bed. In the crib
On top or behind the dresser
In the dresser drawers
In the closet (check all closets)
Under the dirty clothes
In the toy box
In the bathroom
On the back porch
In the dog house
In the tree house
In the back yard
In the basement
Packed with the Christmas decorations.
Under the TV set stand
On top of the VCR/DVD player or stereo
In the magazine rack or on the coffee table
Under the rug
Around town:
At the doctor's or dentist's office
At the local public library
At the church/temple/mosque library
At the babysitter's, grandma's, daycare/afterschool care
At my friend's house (we did homework together)
At my other parent's house
At Mom or Dad's work place
Wherever we went on errands recently (bank, etc.)
On the boat, airplane, train
At School:
On the school bus; at the bus stop
On the classroom or teacher's bookshelf
In my neighbor's or friend's desk (ask their permission first)
Way back on the top shelf of my school locker
In the cafeteria, gym, band room, etc.
At the school office
At the school office or library where my older or younger sibling
attends school.
Ask teacher. Maybe s/he returned it when I was sick.
Ask the librarian - maybe it's on the school library shelf - got put
away without
being checked in.
In the school library "Hospital" box - maybe it's being mended
At the "Lost and Found" barrel/box/bin
Ask friends if they've seen it
Happy Hunting!
--
Johanna Halbeisen, Library Media Teacher
Woodland Elementary School (K-4)