Hi everyone.  I don't think I posted this HIT yet.  I'm sorry it took so long.
Thanks for your help!

Sincerely,

Cindy

Hello!  I would like to give a birthday gifts to students but I can't

think of what would be a good gift and inexpensive and something library

related.

I appreciate your help!

Last year I gave a pencil that said Happy Birthday.  This year I am

giving

away little Mary Englebreit postcards that say Happy Birthday and as I

pass

them out I tell the students they can use them for bookmarks.  They

enjoy

getting something for their birthday because some of them don't get

anything

I give pencils that say library or something about the library,  I also

give pencil erasers.  My little guys,  K-2 always seem to use their

erasers up.  I don't do birthday gifts, I do special gifts, when they help

clean or sort books, sit quietly, do that extra special day things like

that.

How about laminated bookmarks with the Dewey Decimal numbers on them.

How about gift certificates to Barnes and Noble, amazon.com, or a

local bookstore?

WOW you have money for birthday gifts for students?  Book marks are

inexpensive if you have to buy a LOT.

I would think a birthday bookmark or a birthday pencil would work well

for

inexpensive gifts.  We give these out to members of our Birthday Book

Club.

Demco has bookmarks that are birthday related

Hi Cindy,

I give birthday pencils which have a reading theme.  For example, some

of

the pencils say "Reading is Magic", etc.  The principal calls out

birthdays

for the week and the children are asked to go by the Media Center for

their

free birthday pencil.  Upstart and Demco both have pencils available for sale.

bookmarks

I give Happy Birthday Bookmarks.  I'm in a K-2 building and they love them!

I give a bookmark!!!

I like the Thomas Jefferson pencils from Library of Congress.

www.loc.gov I couldn't find the pencils online, but they have a quote

from Thomas Jefferson about the importance of libraries.  It is a good

teaching moment too about how Jefferson donated his books to the

library

after the loc had a fire.

We buy pencils that have a library saying.

An inexpensive gift is a bookmark.  I give bookmarks and kids love

them.

You can find so many neat ones now.

You might try bookmarks from Oriental Trading Company.

Try the "For Teacher's Only" Web site. They have great

pencils and erasers, sharpeners etc. You can even

personalize them to say almost anything.

"Happy Birthday from Ms. Moreno"

I have "Happy Birthday" bookmarks.

I keep a birthday drawer filled with all kinds of goodies and let the

kids pick one thing from the drawer. It includes:

pencils (really jazzy sparkly kinds are popular)

lollipops and other candy (bought in bulk from store)

bookmarks

eraser tops

little toys (like you'd include in birthday party bags for little kids:

I buy them in party stores

Kids really like to pick their own toy. I usually get a cupcake : ) in

return.

Lots of fun!

Any age appropriate paperback.

Top of Form

 [input]  [input]  [input]  [input]  [input]  [input]  [input]  [input]

Bottom of Form

How about colorful, personalized bookmarks, printed on card stock and

laminated?  (Maybe with a little tassel at the end...)  You can print

the

child's name and date, along with the school's name on each.  I like

Microsoft Publisher for making bookmarks, but you could probably do it

on

Word using the Draw toolbar also.  You can get 4 bookmarks from one 8.5

11" sheet of card stock.

Have fun!

I used to buy Happy Birthday bookmarks from upstart and punch holes in them and
stick a lollipop through the two holes...kids loved it..and I would stamp the back
and sign my name

I'd recommend a bookmark.  You can make them with an Ellison DieCut &

personalize them or buy special ones from Demco or Highsmith.

I bought packages of heart shaped erasers from the cascade catalog. I didn't get
enough for each student in the school, just the ones who come around with their
birthday cupcakes. Pencils were my second choice, many of the catalogs have
birthday themed ones that are relatively inexpensive.

Cindy, you can get pencils with a library message.

Could you read If You Give a Mouse a Muffin during their library visit the week of
their birthday and give the birthday student a muffin, a la Casey's?  I give my
middle schoolers a muffin and a free homework pass.  They think it's great.

Many of the library or educational catalogs that

feature books, posters, bookmarks, etc.  will have

them.  I don't remember exactly where I got mine from

but I have ordered different ones from different

catalogs.  I usually stamp the school's name on the

back and sign it with a happy face.  The kids really

like them and it's easy to have them ready to give

when the birthday person pops in during a class.

Cindy Lund Moreno, Elementary Librarian
Loretto Academy Elementary
El Paso, Texas
cindy55twu@yahoo.com