I have had the experience where students have been kept back in their
classroom to finish work.  The teacher seemed to think that library time
wasn't really necessary and if the child wished to do other things that
was okay.  I finally went to the principal and asked what my role was: a
babysitter or a teacher?  If it was just to be a babysitter then I
wouldn't spend the time preparing lessons, but just let the students
come in to the library for free reading and borrowing.  If I was
considered a teacher, I wanted the respect from both students and
teachers that I thought was afforded a teacher.

In another school I had several disruptive students in a library class.
One was diagnosed as having ADHD.  I tried all sorts of different
strategies with him, but he was determined not to work for me.  The
principal told me it was all my fault and that I should use more of my
parenting skills! Anyway, after putting up with this for almost half a
year, I finally gave up.  I just sat at my desk and let the kids yell
across the room to each other.  They tried and tried to get me to get
angry with them, but I stayed calm (while shaking in my boots)until the
bell went.  One girl sat right in front of me and tried to provoke me.
I sent a sealed note to the principal asking him to come to the library.
The above mentioned girl refused to leave the library because she wanted
to find out what I was going to say.  Finally the principal arrived and
the girl left.  He listened to me and decided that the best thing was to
remove the disruptive students from the library.  They would stay behind
with him.  He said he would let them know that library lessons were a
privilege and not a right.  I felt like telling me they was neither, but
a requirement, but I held my tongue.  The kids got what they wanted.
They didn't have to come to the library anymore and work with Mrs HARD
WITCH.  (my last name is Hartwich) Although I did not like the
principal's action, it did make my library lessons much nicer.  We were
able to read books, play games and do other interesting things without
the disruptive students.

Thankfully, the above situations were not the norm and my time as an
elementary school librarian was very rewarding.  For almost 5 years I
was a mobile librarian for 7 schools.  I drove a little van to small
rural schools (1-3 teacher schools) so the students could borrow books
and have library lessons. It was so nice to have the children run out to
greet me when I arrived!

Dona J. Hartwich
Senior Librarian
Horsham College
Horsham, Victoria, Australia
http://web.horsham-college.vic.edu.au/
mrsh@dodo.com.au
 To read a book for the first time is to make an acquaintance with a new
friend; to read it for a second time is to meet an old one.
- Anonymous, Chinese saying