Lorraine's message could have been written by me.  I am a first year
librarian at a Pre-K - 4th campus of 700+.  I, too, have no aide.  My campus
was on a fixed schedule, and I "tried" to get the teachers to try a flex
schedule.  We didn't even get teachers signed up for an entire week, so we
went back to a fixed schedule.  These teachers did not want to have to sign
up every week for a time in the library, because it was easier for them to
just put in their lesson plans the same time every week.  My principal
wanted me to teach lessons, while the teachers checked their kids books in
and out.  I told her I was not comfortable with that (that is my job!), so
we decided to go to a fixed schedule on MWF with some classes coming 2 at a
time for 30 minutes, and TTH reserved for lessons.  We have open checkout
every day, where 2 kids at a time can come to the library to check out
books.  This seems to work out for everybody.  I do get some time to shelve
books and do the other library stuff, but it's never enough.

I think it's a sign of the times and that libraries will continue to see
cuts in staff and money.  I am very fortunate to have parent volunteers help
me and a high school student for a short time in the afternoon, but I can't
always depend on someone coming in during the times I am the busiest.  It
doesn't seem to affect me as it does others, because up until June of this
year I was a fifth grade teacher with 31 students.  Talk about busy!

Lorraine, I understand what you are going through.  According to the TEA
standards, a school with our enrollment (701-1050) should have 2 certified
librarians, and 2 para-professionals in order to be rated Exemplary.  Even a
rating of "Below Standard" says we should have 1 certified librarian and .5
para-professional.  That makes us "below" Below Standard - not even on the
chart.  I don't know what the answer is, except to start with the principal,
and go up from there.  Until schools and districts start taking the library
and library standards as seriously as curriculum standards and the TAKS,
things will not change.  In the meantime, I am just trying to keep my head
above water and still come up with fun library programs and activities these
kids need and deserve.

Joy Simon
Librarian
Bill Brown Elementary School