From: School Library Media & Network Communications =
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU]On Behalf Of Hal Simon
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2004 6:42 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Time spent teaching classes

Lorraine's message could have been written by me.  I am a first year
librarian at a Pre-K - 4th campus of 700+.  I, too, have no aide.  My =
campus
was on a fixed schedule, and I "tried" to get the teachers to try a flex
schedule.  We didn't even get teachers signed up for an entire week, so =
we
went back to a fixed schedule.  These teachers did not want to have to =
sign
up every week for a time in the library, because it was easier for them =
just put in their lesson plans the same time every week.  My principal
wanted me to teach lessons, while the teachers checked their kids books =
in
and out.  I told her I was not comfortable with that (that is my job!), =
so
we decided to go to a fixed schedule on MWF with some classes coming 2 =
at a
time for 30 minutes, and TTH reserved for lessons.  We have open =
checkout
every day, where 2 kids at a time can come to the library to check out
books.  This seems to work out for everybody.  I do get some time to =
shelve
books and do the other library stuff, but it's never enough.

I think it's a sign of the times and that libraries will continue to see
cuts in staff and money.  I am very fortunate to have parent volunteers =
help
me and a high school student for a short time in the afternoon, but I =
can't
always depend on someone coming in during the times I am the busiest.  =
It
doesn't seem to affect me as it does others, because up until June of =
this
year I was a fifth grade teacher with 31 students.  Talk about busy!

Lorraine, I understand what you are going through.  According to the TEA
standards, a school with our enrollment (701-1050) should have 2 =
certified
librarians, and 2 para-professionals in order to be rated Exemplary.  =
Even a
rating of "Below Standard" says we should have 1 certified librarian and =
.5
para-professional.  That makes us "below" Below Standard - not even on =
the
chart.  I don't know what the answer is, except to start with the =
principal,
and go up from there.  Until schools and districts start taking the =
library
and library standards as seriously as curriculum standards and the TAKS,
things will not change.  In the meantime, I am just trying to keep my =
head
above water and still come up with fun library programs and activities =
these
kids need and deserve.

Joy Simon
Librarian