Wow!  I have heard from over 100 of you regarding the "bad word" I was in a tizzy
over.

I do realize that many kids have no idea of the genesis of that particular words,
but most of my respondants, like me, believed it originated from a certain  act
that we will, for now, call a "Lewinsky."

One person suggested that it may have derived from the phrase "go suck lemons."  I
even remember my Great Uncle Clyde saying that, so it is possible.

I was gratified, however, by the amount of support for my disgust at the term.
Over 90 of the respondants also said they correct their students, as I do the
patrons of all ages in my library when they use the term (or others).  The fact
that so many, like me, find it offensive is reason enough for me to make sure ALL
my patrons are able to enjoy visiting my library without being made to feel
uncomfortable by the use of this term (among others).

I do believe that language is fluid and meaning changes over time, but that does
not give anyone the right to create a hostile atmosphere in a public building for
staff or other users.  There are other words that some people can use within their
group and others cannot, and I would not allow them to be used within my sphere of
influence either, by anyone.

Also, I do know that many people  (kids and adults) have no idea that the word is
considered inappropriate by so many, and I always approach my patron quietly and
discreetly so as to not embarrass him/her about the incident.

Dawn M. Sardes
Teen Services Librarian
Euclid Public Library
Euclid, OH