NCLB provides this information about one of their "scientific-based"
programs known as "Reading First"---
http://www.ed.gov/nclb/methods/reading/readingfirst.html

Here is the page from the NCLB list of "scientific-based" reading
instruction  (PowerPoint) program.
http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/read/ereadingsbr03/edlite-index.html

One of the NCLB Powerpoint programs that offers direction in how to proceed
with "instruction" for this program includes the development of vocabulary
with children.  A slide within the presentation offered to the trainers from
the U.S. Department of Education (their own presentation) says:

How Vocabulary is Learned

  a.. Indirectly. Children learn the meanings of most words indirectly,
through everyday experiences with oral and written language--e.g., through
conversations with adults, through being read to, and THROUGH  READING
EXTENSIVELY ON THEIR OWN.
http://www.ed.gov/admins/lead/read/rb/edlite-slide021.html

To me, this would suggest that "Sustained Silent Reading" is a model
suggested  BY the U.S. State Department of Education and that SHOULD be used
to allow students who have become familiar with the skills taught in reading
and through practice  (as set out in the early grades K-2).  Based upon the
wording, it suggests that students should be given the opportunity to
PRACTICE the reading skills that they have learned by using a method that
allows them to become comfortable practicing their reading in a "silent
manner"--- a personal reading style that provides them with the time to
practice the skill without being under a "microscope" within the classroom
and before their peers.  (Although formal instruction is necessary, SSR is
NOT completely eliminated; in fact, it is supported as a part of vocabulary
development based upon their own presentation.)

Although the US Dept of Education states that there will be specific things
done that are "scientific-based," they still refer to the standards that are
used in most classrooms when reading / literature is taught---group
activities, reading aloud, assisting in comprehension, vocabulary, AND
independent reading.

If SSR isn't a part of the "independent reading" element...I've been
monitoring the election coverage WAY too much this year because I am
completely confused on this "spin" and obviously have NO CLUE!

Keep us informed on what you find.  I'm looking also because this is
completely ridiculous to believe that ONLY through oral reading and
"scientific-based" instruction can students achieve success in reading AND
only through scientific-based research can students learn to read. If that's
the case then.....

....I wonder how we've ALL managed to learn how read in the past? (50+ years
ago)....
....how were the slaves in the South taught to read?
....did Sequoyah have a "scientifically-based" reading program after he
created the Cherokee
    alphabet which allowed that Indian Nation to have a written language?
(which they read)
....what scientifically-based research did Anne Sullivan use to teach Helen
Keller?  Was Braille
    a scientifically-based reading / writing program?  If so, why were there
years of conflicts
    between educators about which code to use for the blind?  How did the
"losers" of that
    conflict learn to read?  (Moon type? Gall? Lucas? Alston? Braille?
American? English?)
....what if it takes MORE than just "scientifically based" research to learn
to read?
....what if they're wrong?

Just thinking.

~Shonda Brisco