Marian,

This Fall I transferred from an Elementary to a Secondary School Library.
I was excited, but anxious because, like you, I had only worked in
Elementary.  I would have to agree with Alan when he stated that YOU are
the key and the rest will come with time.  You do want to focus on
information literacy skills, Information Power, Big 6, collaborating and
aligning with curriculum, analyzing the collection BUT YOU CAN'T DO
EVERYTHING IN THE FIRST YEAR.

In my own experience, I am focusing on outreach.  In some ways, I feel
like I have not done much.  Very little technology integration is in
place, and will are just beginning to start research because the building
is recoving from mistakes made by "the scheduling Gods" this year.  I have
focused almost entirely on outreach (a.k.a. "being friendly).  I have
started a group of parent as well as three groups of student volunteers.
I have lunch library access twice a week for each grade (I move my lunches
around) and the library is operated by the student volunteers with my
supervision.  I made a brochure stating what we do and how to collaborate,
another brochure on available databases and I am doing a "book election"
in November focusing on our new character ed iniative.

THAT'S IT!!!  I am very surprised by the amount of positive feedback I
have received from everyone...students, teachers, parents, THE SECRETARY
(a touch cookie), the principal, etc.  I had lunch with my supervisor
recently and I said, "I don't get it.  We've barely touched information
literacy."

She said, "I'm proud of you.  You've figured it out."  Once in awhile,
dumb luck works for all of us.  I LOVE my new building - the kids are
wonderful, the staff is friendly and the food is good!!!  I guess it
shows.

--
Christine H. Lopez
Iselin Middle School