From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Rebecca Reitz
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 8:13 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: HIT: books with dog's P.O.V.

Dear Librarians,
Thank you all for responding so swiftly and thoroughly to my request. =
You
are
the greatest!
What would I do without you?

Original query: Do you know of any fiction books for middle-grade =
readers
(3-5 grade) that are from the point of view of a dog? Thanks!

List of Books with Dog P.O.V. as recommended by LM NET Librarians:

Fire, Bed and Bone is a great one I used for 5th grade reluctant =
readers.

We have I was a third grade bodyguard and I was a third grade spy by =
Mary
Jane Auch. Chapters alternate between dog and boy.

I, Jack / by Jack the dog, as told to Patricia Finney (several entries)

Many, many recommendations for Hank the Cow Dog books by John R. =
Erickson
and for James Howe's like Bunnicula and Celery Stalks at Midnight etc.

Seaman the dog who explored the west with Lewis and Clark

A Dog's Life by Peter Myle

many entries for The Good Dog by Avi

Gooseberry Park by Cynthia Rylant

The captain's dog : my journey with the Lewis and Clark tribe by Roland
Smith

Hurry home, Candy by Meindert DeJong

Ribsy by Beverly Cleary

Giggler Treatment by Roddy Doyle. British author but hysterical.

Some old, old stories by Albert Terhune, namely "Lad, a Dog" is one of =
the
best examples of dog point of view I've ever seen, but I don't know how
available they are these days.

Upchuck and Rotten Willy by Bill Wallace. He has lots of books with =
animals
point of views.

Many entries for: Lewis and Clark and Me: A Dog's Tale by Laurie Myers

Don't remember the author, but there are two books in my library that I =
use
called "Three Stories to Read to Your Dog" and another one for cats...
Stories
written from the animals point of view, and they are cute.

These two picture books that wonderfully illustrate the point of view of =
the
dog! Loki & Alex: The Adventures of a Dog and His Best Friend by Charles =
R.,
Jr. Smith also A Day in the Life of Murphy by Alice Provensen

Smart Dog by Vivian Vande Velde

How about Dear Mrs. LaRue? It's about a dog that is sent to dog camp. =
These
are letters he sent home to his master.

Stay! Keeper's Story by Lois Lowry.

Try books by Bill Wallace. I think "Snot Stew" is what you're looking =
for

Howling for Home by Joan Carris

One called Dog! by Paulson I think

Thanks again,