Below are the responses I received for the target on character development books.
Thanks to everyone who contributed!

Dave and Pat Sargent do several series of character education books.  They have
three series for elementary:  one focuses on animals, one focuses on Native
Americans (including some lesser-known tribes like the Haida) and one focuses on
horses (that supposedly belonged to a famous American).  These are all short,
simple, chapter books with loads of pictures and larger type.  The authors visited
the school where I was subbing last year and the kids loved them.  I loved them
because they had an offer of buy 10 books for $30.  I know that some of the books
have been listed on Titlewave, although I didn’t find any reviews.  Pat also does
some much longer books for stronger readers about the woods and animals and her
life.  Her oral stories reminded me of Where the Red Fern Grows, but I didn’t look
at the books (they weren’t included in the 10 for $30 deal).  All these titles are
well below high-school level, but might be worth a look if you don’t find a lot of
other resources.

The publishing info. is Ozark Publishing, Inc., P.O. Box 228, Prairie Grove, AR
72753, 1-800-321-5671.

If you are looking for picture books, this is a great reference:

http://www.lib.muohio.edu/pictbks/search/alpha.php

Look up the subject matter alphabetically:-)

-- **********************************************

The Serendipidity Series by Stephen Cosgrove is great.  I used them whenI was in
the Elementary Center.

Linda Elliott
Library Media Teacher
Pleasant Valley High School