Well,,,,,,  I get to open a new library!  We feel so fortunate to be
opening with a great theme. I have purchased several of the ALA posters
and a few buttons, I have gathered some banned books lists and plan to
have those posted, and have found all of the books that we own that are
on the "100 most challenged in 1990 - 2000" list so we can put them out
on display. I think we have about 60 of them - we just finished a big
construction project on campus so there is lots of yellow caution tape
around to use where we display the books. We are also going to have
posters featuring information on the First Amendment, censorship, free
speech, etc. I want to put up a banner similar to the one at my local
public library: "We Have Books to Offend Everyone." I'm working on
getting a speaker scheduled, which is hard only because I am having
trouble getting the administration pinned down as to a date. So far I
have two teachers on board for doing class activities that tie into our
theme: one is showing Birth of a Nation which fits into our 10th grade
history curriculum, and a junior/senior "Dreams and Demons" English
elective teacher is looking at controversial books to use. I am SO
excited! So many ideas!

Cathy
Cathy Rettberg, MLIS
Head Librarian, Menlo School