Dear ELEM-Netters,
I teach in an intermediate school, grades 3, 4 and 5.  My library
classes are 40 minutes in length.  I usually break each class into
three parts:  first, a read-aloud or book talk, then, a library
lesson of some kind, and finally, book selection.  I have been doing
it this way for years, but book selection often gets short shrift if
either of the first two activities takes too much time, or kids rush
out & leave the place a mess.  But,  if I had book selection at the
beginning, I wouldn't be able to book talk, and wouldn't be able to
ask the kids to put their lessons into practice.

Where do you put book selection time for maximum teaching
effectiveness and efficiency?  I know that many of you have solved
this dilemma, so I am asking for your suggestions!  Thanks very much.
 Julie

Julia Kessler      jkessler@westrd.acsd.dcboces.org
Librarian
West Road Intermediate School