Today during an inservice meeting, I was sharing with my faculty some
information on copyright from the recent issue of an AASL publication.  I
said
that it was against copyright for a teacher to read a book and make an
audiotape of it.  The Special Education teacher said that just last week
he was in a meeting with representatives from our State Department of
Education and they told him that he should make tapes of books for his
students to use.  I said that perhaps there were exemptions made for
special education.  The SE teacher said that federal guidelines for "equal
access" to education over-rode any copyright laws.
  OK, now...do any of you know
if there is an exemption from copyright laws for special education, and/or
is it true that "equal
access" to education supercedes other laws?
Thanks, Tawana

Tawana West, LMS                E-mail:  twest@uark.edu
Walker Elementary School        phone:   479.750.8874
1701 S. 40th Street             fax:     479.750.8717
Springdale, AR   72762          A National Blue Ribbon School