Howdy all--

Thanks to everyone who sent me the great information!
I really appreciated it.  Here's the hit--and, so far,
the class is going well!

Sarah
******
Check with your vender for the school yearbook.  They
usually have a
curriculum on publishing and are usually very willing
to share.
******

Have a look at the materials at:

http://www.shambles.net/pages/staff/DTP/
http://www.shambles.net/pages/school/WPdtp/
http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/ict/unit3a/

These are all links on a main IT page at
http://www.shambles.net/ict/ where you might find
further information.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you look
at these links ... especially the third one above ..
should save you lots-a-time.

One of the problems is that Word Processing (WP) have
become so elaborate that the difference between DTP
and WP has become very blurred .... and may people are
actually DTPing with software such as Microsoft Word.

The term DTP is sometimes a little intimidating (to
teachers & students) ... renaming it to "Combining
text and pictures" can sometimes reduce any anxiety.

*****
A couple of years ago I was 'drafted' to be the
yearbook advisor at my
daughter's high school - learning the programs
(pagemaker & photoshop)
was
a rather steep learning curve - a number of the pages
that I had
bookmarked
in favorites no longer exist. Those that are still
there - I've copied
below

http://lessonplans.btskinner.com/dtp.html {desktop
publishing - great
lessons}
http://www.sjs.sd83.bc.ca/online/yrbk/ex1.htm {has
'exercises' to print
out}
http://www.jteacher.com/handouts.html {lots of links
on this page}
http://www.arraich.com/ps_intro.htm {photoshop tips}

****
Good luck with this venture.  It sounds fun.

See if you can get a copy of "The Non-Designer's Web
Book" by Robin
Williams and John Tollet.  I have the second edition
published by
Peachpit Press.  It's one of the best things I've ever
read about
design
- puts things in clear and simple terms.  As the title
indicates, this
book is targeted to web publishing and not just
desktop publishing.

I seem to recall that these authors (or maybe just
this publisher) have
also put out a book that is strictly about design.  I
can't recommend
it
since I've only seen the front cover, but that may be
more practical
for
your needs.
*****

There is an author out there "Robin Williams" who has
published in the
design area of things.  She's got titles relating to
text, images,
layout, design, etc.

You may want to find some of her work on Amazon or
other similar
resource to see if that can get you started.  She's
FUNNY and she gives
great examples.

You may want to consider having 2 or 3 "archetypal"
projects to use as
the anchors for the class and go from there.

=====
Sarah Milligan, Librarian/English teacher
Summit Preparatory School
Kalispell, MT
hermia_mnd@yahoo.com

http://mail.yahoo.com