I met Robert Cormier in 1995 and he told me that the book "The Chocolate War" was
inspired by his son's school-wide project of selling chocolates every year to raise
money.  While his son didn't disagree with the practice and wanted to participate
(and Robert and his wife had no problems with the program), the "seed of the idea"
came when Robert thought, "what would be the ramifications to the student who did
NOT want to participate in the school-wide activity?"  From that he started telling
about how he developed the characters based upon their need to create a
power-situation over the students and how one student's defiance against the
"system" and those who were corrupt ended up causing his own destruction.

Although rather pessimistic (as all his novels), the thoughts and actions of the
characters became clear to me as the reader once I realized where he had gotten the
idea; his comparison of simple situations that we are all involved in each day, to
more complex situations that spiral out of control when power becomes the ultimate
game played by those who are in control of weaker individuals, still rings true.
Thus the reason why "The Chocolate War" has become a contemporary classic.

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Trinity Valley School
Fort Worth, TX  76132
817-321-0100 ext. 410
briscos@trinityvalleyschool.org

"Those who have the highest expectations for the web in terms of student research,
are those who work
with it, and students, the least."  -- LM_NET librarian