Julie's reasons for regular inventory are those I would have mentioned. In
addition, if funds are available replacing missing items may be a high
prority--maybe even before buying new stuff. One year we discovered that our
entire Dylan Thomas collection had walked without having been checked out.
I replaced it immediately. A close examination of the the list of missing
items can often guide purchases. Our system will tell us without inventory
which items were never returned after being checked out, but only by
inventory can we tell which things walked. Without a security system I feel
responsible for knowing that, and reacting appropriately. (We'll never has a
security system with this administration--indicates lack of trust). Without
an inventory your catalog is simply not accurate--that's not fair to the
students and teachers.  I work 11 months, so there is time, and I consider
it time well spent if I can account for the resources with which I been
entrusted.

Maureen S. Irwin
Library Director
Rye Country Day School