My original posting:

Just wondering if anyone has experimented with combining two different
grades for circulation time - for example a fifth grade class with their
second grade book buddies.  Seems like it might be a good way for older
students to help the younger students find books.  Any thoughts or
experiences to share?

Replies (which I thank  you for):

Yes, for several years before I retired in 2000, Ackley elem. kids were
paired as reading buddies (5th graders with 2nd graders, 4th with first, 3rd
with kindergarteners).   The program was a definite "success," although
there were no studies done to prove whether it actually improved the reading
abilities of any kids in any of the grades.  Since so many variables are
involved, it would probably be impossible to prove much one way or the
other, I suspect.  The theory is that kids in both the older and younger
groups improve their reading skills.  I can only say that our kids enjoyed
it.  You need the principal's heavy-duty involvement on this as it requires
the full cooperation of everyone in the school.  Here in Ackley, the
principal was the instigator and organizer of the program.  I just observed
it in action.

--------------------------

We have 5th grade students as "Reading/Book Buddies."  We have 530 students,
with 25 homerooms.  Each homeroom teacher gets a "Safety Patrol."  Then
there a few other Safety Patrol students on duty throughout the school from
7:30 to 8:20am.  The remaining 5th grade students are "Reading/Book Buddies"
with struggling readers (usually K-2 students) or they are tutors.  The
"Reading/Book Buddies" help students read books, take AR tests, and
accompany them to the library to select an appropriate book.  It works
excellent for us.  Our strugglers are getting an extra dose of help, that is
much needed.

--------------------------

That does sound like a good idea.  I currently have three AR checkout times
each day: 8:00am-8:30am, 11:00am-12:30pm, and 2:00pm-3:00pm.  Students from
all grades (K-5) are welcome to come in and exchange books at this time.
Only 2 students per classroom may come at the time though because we have 22
homerooms and that is 44 students at any given time.  That is all I can
handle in the media center at once!  Students are also allowed to exchange
books at the beginning of each class period every week.  I see all 22
classes each week.  The idea of pairing them up though may give the older
ones a feeling of being helpful while the younger ones could have more
assistance than one media coordinator can offer.  Good luck with
implementing this idea.

Mary Kenslea

Library Teacher

MacArthur Elementary School (at Northeast)

40 Putney Lane

Waltham, MA  02452

kensleam@k12.waltham.ma.us