My 2 cents worth;

Inventory does take time but it is certainly easier to do for those who
have automated libraries. (for those who still don't you have my full
symphathies). Another very time consuming (but very necessary) activity is
to shelf read.   Putting the two together works for me. There are times
that I print out a very small section, say the 340s and shelf read,
inventory just that prior to a class coming in to work on supreme court
cases for example.

 It also doesn't have to be done all at once, after closing the library. I
do mine in chunks, during Terra Nova testing I did the 900s. During the
parent conference days I did another section.

For all of the reasons already listed I believe that doing an inventory is
necessary and I do some whenever I can. (The video collection hasn't been
done in ages though). I want my database to be as accurate as possible.
Students won't go to the database if they don't have a reasonable
expectation that it is somewhat accurate. We are doing a collection age
evaluation for the district. Since they gave us funds to purchase new
science materials, I want that section to be accurate. When I report my
statistics I want it to show the maximum effect the funding had on my
collection.

Last part of my soap box, book stores do inventory. They see a need to have
their "collection" and their "database" correct not just for bottom line.
They also do it so they can tell customers whether or not they have the
book on hand.

Deborah J. Stafford
Gen. H.H. Arnold High School
Wiesbaden Germany