For those who may be interested (and Andersen's stories transcend all ages!):

Just a reminder that Hans Christian Andersen's 200th birthday was Saturday April 2,
2005, for those of you who may want to incorporate some of his stories into your
library activities this week.

Among some of his most famous tales are:
The Emperor's New Clothes, The Little Mermaid, The Ugly Duckling, The Little Match
Girl, The Red Shoes, The Tinder-Box, Thumbelina, The Fir-Tree, The Snow Queen, The
Princess and the Pea, The Steadfast Tin Soldier, and The Nightingale. He began his
career writing poetry.

In addition to his (approximately) 350 stories, he was also a master at intricate
paper-cutting, a Scandinavian handicraft. You may have a hardcover book about his
paper cuttings, "The Amazing Paper Cuttings of Hans Christian Andersen" by Beth
Wagner Brust on your shelves. (If not, I found it available in paperback at
Amazon.com for under $10).

Two summers ago I had the opportunity to visit the museum near his home (still
there; he was born April 2, 1805) in Odense, Denmark. A large portion of the museum
was set aside to house a copy of every book printed of his writings, which were
translated into many (over 100) different languages. Awesome!

Here are some interesting sites:

http://www.underthesun.cc/Classics/Andersen/
A listing of his works and timeline of his life and publishing dates, along with
the stories online.

http://www.andersen.sdu.dk/index_e.html
Sponsored by the Hans Christian Andersen Center

http://falcon.jmu.edu/~ramseyil/andersen.htm
Teachers' Resource File  with lesson plans

http://www.fisher.k12.il.us/denmark/denmark.htm
A U.S. students' "Denmark Page" from Fisher Grade School. What a nice site, with a
map of Denmark! Go back to their http://www.fisher.k12.il.us/denmark/textpage.htm
home page for the project and read about their school-wide activities and Danish
school counterpart, who exchanged holiday information with them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_4390000/newsid_4394700/4394785.stm
A news article from the BBC shows (current) HRH Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark
in front of a portrait of Hans Christian Andersen. I was surprised at how much
resemblance there is! This short article has some interesting tidbits, especially
about why he may have written his famous "Ugly Ducking" story. From this article:
"He also wrote a tale called The Philosopher's Stone, 138 years before JK Rowling's
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was published."

Joanne Ladewig, Library Media Technician (a.k.a. "Library Lady")
Lawrence Elementary School, GGUSD
Garden Grove, CA USA
shatz@verizon.net

---Comments are my own and may not reflect the views of GGUSD.