As is typical, I got more requests for a hit than actual policies.
Here is what I received. Oh, a note: Several of you asked why we cannot give zeros.
The situation was that last year (I was not here, this is my first year) the
principal went to the interim superintendent for backing when a teacher had given a
student a zero for cheating. He tore her up one side and down the other (don't you
love Southern idioms). He wanted to know why a teacher would give a middle school
student a zero. Their brains have not stopped developing, and don't until they're
25, so they do not have the capacity to make the correct decisions about cheating.
He said the school should be finding out why they are cheating and correct it. Sigh.
So, I guess according to this rationale (cop-out?), college students should not be
penalized either since they are not 25. Oh yeah, and since most people are in the
workforce before 25, we should allow embezzlement and other crimes in the
workplace. Ugh.
Here are the replies:
ACADEMIC INTEGRITY
Honesty Is An Integral Part Of Crusader Character And Involves Students
Taking Full Responsibility For Their Own Work Based On Teacher
Expectations.
Violations of academic honesty, or cheating, include but are not
limited to:
* copying from another student's written work, homework
assignments, papers, projects, lab reports, quizzes, tests, etc. or
allowing your work to be copied
* giving, receiving or asking another student for answers for
tests/exams
* claiming another's work as your own (plagiarism) including
sources found on the Internet or in print
* using or consulting unauthorized equipment, devices or programs
Students involved in cheating will receive:
1. zero credit for the test
zero credit or grade reduction for an assignment
2. a parent phone call from the classroom teacher
3. a disciplinary referral sent to the Assistant Principal and 2
hour detention for the first offense. A disciplinary referral sent to
the Assistant Principal and suspension for the second offense. Repeated
violations will result in loss of credit for the class.
Academic Dishonesty/Misconduct includes all acts of dishonesty in any
academically-related matter including any knowledge of or attempt to help another
student commit an act of dishonesty such as:
1) Cheating - To gain or seek to gain an advantage by underhanded
means and misrepresentation. This includes copying from another student's work.
2) Plagiarism - Representation of another's work as
one's own.
3) Fabrication - Presenting as genuine any invented or
falsified material.
1st offense:
*All students involved will receive zeros on the assignment or test.
*Detention will be assigned.
*A call will be placed to the students' parents.
2nd offense:
*All students involved will receive zeros on the assignment or test.
*ISS will be assigned.
*A call will be placed to the students' parents.
3rd offense:
*All students involved will receive zeros on the assignment or test.
*All students involved will receive 3 days OSS.
4th offense:
*All students involved will receive zeros on the assignment or test.
*An expulsion hearing will be set.

Bottom line(s):
If you have to hide to do it -
DON'T DO IT!
If you hope you won't get caught -
DON'T DO IT!

If you're worried someone might catch you -

DON'T DO IT!
If you wouldn't want a grownup to see you doing it -
DON'T DO IT!
Lyn Anderson
Librarian
Brentwood Middle School