--original post--
"I know to leave all award winners alone (or upgrade), but..."
----

I wouldn't assume that an award winner automatically deserves a spot in
your library.  How many of us have copies of _Gay-Neck: the story of a
pigeon_ (1928 Newberry)?  Very few of my students would even give it a
second glance just based on the cover.  Other award winners, like
_Indian in the Cupboard_ (discussed previously on this list) may contain
stereotypes or other offensive content.  And not all Pulitzer, National
Book Award or even ALA Best Books winners are appropriate for every library.

Any list of "classics" is going to be subjective.  A prerequisite to
weeding is knowing your school and your curriculum.  My first couple of
years here I only weeded the disintegrating, moldy, and obviously
inappropriate/useless books (_Open Marriage: a new lifestyle for
couples_ being my favorite...ahhh, to have been a librarian in the 70s).
  After a few years you get a feel for the school and get a hold of
English department reading lists and learn what teachers require and
recommend.  Then you can really weed.

----
Tony Doyle, Librarian
Livingston High School, Livingston, CA
tdoyle@muhsd.k12.ca.us
<Http://www.lhs.muhsd.k12.ca.us/library/index.htm>
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture.  Just get
people to stop reading them."-- Ray Bradbury