At 02:54 PM 4/4/2005, Beth Molski wrote:
>Good afternoon,
>
>We are going to be starting a research unit with 9th graders on
>Westward Expansion using both primary and secondary sources.  The
>students have various topics ranging from the gold rush, fur trapping,
>Lewis and Clark to specific trails.  Do any of you have some good
>suggestions of web sites to include in their research?

I hope the students are learning that there were well-established societies
of American Indians all across the continent, that it wasn't empty land the
expansion was venturing into. Two sites that speak to this are:

Native American Displacement Amid U.S. Expansion
A Conversation With R. David Edmunds
University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.pbs.org/kera/usmexicanwar/dialogues/prelude/manifest/d2deng.html

Manifest Destiny: Clash of Cultures
http://www.cyberbee.com/manifest_destiny/destiny.html

Debbie Reese

Debbie A. Reese, (Nambé Pueblo)
Assistant Professor, American Indian Studies
1206 West Nevada
Urbana, IL 61801

TEL 217.265.9870
FAX 217.265.9880